Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Dimension 4600 fan

• Please log in to reply

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hello everyone:

My Dell 4600 fan is VERY noisy, and the sound is just driving me crazy. I have gotten a replacement from Dell, but to no avail. The fan is always noisy, but on hotter days, such as 85 degrees (yes, that is hot in Buffalo), the fan is extremely loud, and can be heard rooms away. (I have used a compressed air can and have dusted it many times.) Thus, I am looking for a replacement. I am not sure of the CFM, but I would like the replacement one at about 80 CFM just to be safe. Also, I know that it is 92mm. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good fan, especially one that is VERY Quiet that will fit the above needs?

Oh, and I am aware that ones not certified by Dell will give a fan failure error at boot up. I am willing to live with that in return for some peace.

Thanks again for your help, and God bless!

Advertisements

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Sorry, but I forgot this in the last post, in case it is important. The current fan is a Nidec BETA V.

Thanks again,
Jared

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
If you got a replacement, that's brand new, then that's how it's going to be. Unless you find some way to enclose the sound in the case; which is most likely impossible.

You can order a aftermarket fan from an online computer part retailer (www.newegg.com for example). You should first find out the size of your current fan, just so your new one will fit firmly. Also make sure you have the right power input plug that would be compatible with your new fan.

I'm not very sure there are fans for your computer that would fit, but it's worth a search.

Good Luck,
Matt

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Thanks for the reply. I think that I should have been more clear in my first post. The replacement that I got was from Dell, so it was the exact same model as the first one. Thus, when I replaced it, I thought that the first fan was just defective. But when I got my second one, I realized that the Dell 4600 fans are just Noisy, and there was never any porblem with the first - they are all like that. Thus, I am looking for a fan (not the same model obviously) that is quieter.

Also, the fan size is 92mm. Or do I need some other dimensions that would tell me it would fit?

Thanks again!

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hey. ive got a dell 4600 and my fan is not at all noisy. it really was a while ago but i took the covers off and blew about 4 sheeps worth of wool out of it and off the fan and now it purrs like a donkey with a rare condition which makes it think its a kitten!

i do live in scotland right enuff so maybe its due to the fact my rooms always cold!!! haha :tazz:

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Well, I live in Buffalo NY, and even when it snows, it is still loud. The reason is that I think that I have installed so many components that it needs to continue working hard. (All optical drives filled, all PCI slots, AGP, and hard drives.) Thus, the fan is working hard. But, my video card has a fan, and I even installed another fan PCI to help out the main one, but it is still loud. That is why I am looking for a different brand. Also, I dust my computer every month, and there is nothing on the fan. And perhaps the fan on your Dell is defferent, as I have gotten sereval PM's asking me if I got an answer as their Dell fan is also loud. Therefore, I know that I am not alone. And you can even verify that by looking on the Dell community forum. But thanks for keeping the thread at the top!

Jared

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey there,

I'll help you find a good fan, can you tell me if you have a 3 or 4 pin connector of the fan that would connect into the PSU?

EDIT:
I've found a 92mm fan: http://www.siliconac...df1209sl-3.html.

Edited by FalloutYear, 28 July 2005 - 02:21 PM.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Thanks for the tip. I think that it is a three pin connector on the motherboard. However, i still think that I can use the four pin connector out of the PSU. But it looks like that fan has both qualifications, so I should be fine wither way. Thanks for the link!

Jared

PS Anyone have anything against it? It looks (well, actually says) that it is very quiet.

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey,

I have 4 80mm fans, and will all of them on it's not that loud, and I assure you it would not be loud at all with only one of the 80mm fans were on. Each fan is about 27db also. You should be fine.

Matt

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Is 27 CFM enough though?

Thanks

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
It should be enough. If your case is small, it should be enough.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Well, I would say taht it is neither large nor small.

4 PCI Cards.
Two hard disk drives
Two optcial drives.
1 AGP card
4 sticks of RAM

Everything is filled, so I am thinking that it just needs to work hard, and thus be loud.

Jared

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hmm, do some googling and try the find a quiet fan with alot of airflow.