Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIFI protection

• Please log in to reply

reiterd

reiterd

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi, how do i prevent people from using my WIFI network connection? My router lights r always blinking & no 1 else is home. I suspect my neighbor is snooping around. Please help.

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
What make and model of wireless router/access point are you using? Here are the minimum 4 steps I recommend to my clients:

1) Use an oddball name or combination of characters for the (E)SSID. Think of it as a password.
2) Turn off broadcasting of (E)SSID if possible. (not all routers/ap's support this feature)
3) Turn on MAC address filtering. This allows only the MAC addresses you've specified to connect to the router/ap
4) Turn off DHCP. Hardcode your IP's onto your machines. Additionally, don't use a common range like 192.168.0.x....use something whackier like your house number (assuming it's below 254 --> 192.168.137.x for example)

You can also turn on WEP, however, it is easily crackable and there is a performance hit when using it.

Hope this helps!
Be well, SD

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
depending on how advance your router is u can use mac filtering or there are a variety of differant forms of wep encryptions.

wep-a network key, which is basically a password to connect to your network.

mac filtering-you specify the mac address which is the physical address of your wireless card and it will only allow that card to connect you can specify more then 1 however.

reiterd

reiterd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have to use the router software or do i go thru Windows XP to do the security lock?? I'm sori but i m pretty new at this.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
u probably dont need the installed router software, u should just put in the ip address in the web browser, u will probably need to connect a patch 5 cable when setting this up, but all the settings are within your routers built in software.

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
reiterd-- you didn't really mention whether or not YOU use the wireless features of your router. If you don't use wireless at all, you should be able to disable it completely within the router's configuration screens.

If you do use wireless, be sure that when you are making changes to the security within the router's configuration screens that you are doing so from a WIRED computer (not wireless), or you stand the chance of locking yourself out. Then when you take each step to increase the security, test it on a wireless computer so if something goes wrong you can address the most recent step you took. I would go with SoccerDad's recommendations, testing between each step to make sure the wireless is still functional for you. The only difference of opinion that I have is when it comes to WEP, use it, regardless of how crackable it is. If your equipment is relatively new, you may have the option to use WPA instead, which is much better than WEP. Just remember, one step at a time. If you have questions along the way, post them and they will be addressed.

One last note reiterd, it's normal for your router's lights to blink even when nobody is using your connection. There is much network traffic going on all the time even when you're not using it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you know they are home and supect they are using go onto your router settings and there computer name should appear in the list of computers its on the first page on alot of routers.