Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my nvidia geforce3

• Please log in to reply

chris11

chris11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i recently had a power surge (i think, there wasnt any storms) and it took out my power supply, and maybe my nvidia geforce 6800 OC. i cant verify that because i dont have a spare 420W power supply to test my video card. i orignally thought that it was blasted since when i put in a 350W i got a constant whistle, which the BFG tech said that it was a sign that it wasnt getting enough power. This is why im not quite sure if the 6800 is fried since i think 350W is enough, but i could very possibly wrong. i would like an opinion on that please.

secondly, for the mean time, i play world of warcraft with this geforce 3 that i am using, i get frequent crashing (usualy within 10 minutes of play), and i am forced to restart via the reset button on the front of my tower. I receive no errors when i log into windows or any other unusual behavior. Another thing is that i used this video card prior to buying the 6800 OC and i had no problems so im rather confused on possible options. thanks for any help ahead of time.

chris

also i loaded the latest drivers and ran ad-aware for the geforce3

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
How old is computer? How long have you been having this "freeze"?
Just once in awile at 1st & then gradulally have gotten worse?

Your CPU Heatsink & Fan Assembly is probably clogged with dust & causing CPU Temp Power Down. . . .Cool air has to blow down into the heatsink and blow out the sides & eventually out the back of PC. . .power supply fans are working ?? should be 2 . .

Clean Heatsink and fan assembly & reseat Video card . . . if it has a fan . . .clean it also. . .

Do you have have a PC Probe Monitor utility installed that will measure Temp & voltages in Windows?? If you have CD for your motherboard . . .Browse thru that & look for a measuring utility...Install and monitor

I think that was "Root Cause" of your original problem . . . What do you mean by a power surge?? Your 350 Watt supply was probably ok & might still be good to use, if you still have it. . . .did you have it replaced by 450 watt??

What all has been replaced? Did your Tech have to remove motherboard to replace Power Unit . . .Did it ever work after Power supply was replaced??

I would look over the PC very closely & look for wires / power plugs hanging loose. . .

Is PC working or not?? That constant whistle was probably temp warning . . . try cleaning PC. . . if ~ 2 years old . . . it is about the right time. . .do all your fans work especially CPU. . .check to see if it is plugged in . . .this would sound alarm . . .

Edited by Jack123, 23 July 2005 - 10:07 PM.