Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM thinkpad 760EL

• Please log in to reply

j_balcaen

j_balcaen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey all

I have an old IBM thinkpad 760 EL. Whenever i try to install an OS on it it never works. All that happens is A screen with the image of a diskette appears with all the F keys at the bottom. After that screen there is a black screen with a few numbers at the top.

It seems to never recognize any of the cd's i put in there as nothing ever happens. Does anyone know what's going on with this computer ?

Advertisements

BAinComputers

BAinComputers

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In the bios setup the CD as the first boot item. :tazz: If this fails then try to use the DOS assign command to assign a: C:\new. will have to make dir new on c drive.

claus

claus

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey all

I have an old IBM thinkpad 760 EL. Whenever i try to install an OS on it it never works. All that happens is A screen with the image of a diskette appears with all the F keys at the bottom. After that screen there is a black screen with a few numbers at the top.

It seems to never recognize any of the cd's i put in there as nothing ever happens. Does anyone know what's going on with this computer ?

View Post

Hey j_balcean

I also bought the IBM 760 EL. And I formatted the disk immediately as agreed with the seller. I think the problem I got was the same as yours. This 760 EL cannot be booted by CD-ROM!

The boot options only allow disk drive, hard disk and pcmcia. But you cannot boot with an completely formatted HDD. If you didn't purchase a disk drive you can only try to boot with an pcmcia network card.

If you bought a disk drive create a boot disk with format.exe on it and the drivers for DOS CD-ROM drives. Boot up, format the HDD with the system copy extension. Done these steps the DOS should boot from HDD and you can use the CD-ROM to install Windows 9x.

I did these steps successfully with Win 98 SE. But be aware there are driver written for the TP 760 EL you won't find in the standard Win 98 SE CD's. Try to get as many as possible from IBM's download area. It's a stringent job! And my TP 760 EL is working nearly flawless.

Don't give up.

Claus

easeltine

easeltine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

This is an old post. I wanted to write a better answer if one has more of the complete hardware package for the Thinkpad 760 EL.
One needs the docking bay w/ the external floppy disk drive that connects to the back of the docking bay.
Additionally, the docking bay comes with keys, a connection for the power, ps/2 port for a mouse, other ports and a connection for the external floppy disk drive. The external floppy disk drive will automatically be the first boot device when connected.
Remember the old technology - Control Panel - Add Programs - & there will be a tab in Windows 95 and 98 where one can make a Windows Boot Disk.
Make the Boot disk and choose w/ CD-ROM support upon Boot with the Floppy.
The CD-ROM will be designated at the end, depending upon how the hard drive is partitioned. Let's assume D:.
Then, using the DOS command go to the D: prompt, type the command Setup, and that starts Windows 95 or Windows 98.

My 760 EL is 166 Mhz, with 56 MB RAM. Windows 98 works well, Windows 95 is Speedy. The drawback for Windows 95 is that there is no USB support. One can have USB support with Windows 98 only if they have a PC Card with USB ports connected to the cards.

...with Windows 98, an PC Card Wireless Modem, using Kernel EX, Firefox 3, one can connect to the Internet, if you are a masochist!