Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Finally a New Computer...

• Please log in to reply

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright guys I'm doing it...I'm finally planning to spend money to actually get a new computer because my 900mhz AMD duron has gotten really slow...so heres how the new build is looking like:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI S939
Processor: AMD Athlon64 3700+ San Diego S939
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 6800GT
RAM: Corsair TWINX1024 DDR400
Hard Drive: Seagate Barricuda 200GB with NCQ

So yeah...I'm planning to order the parts in a few days. Tell me what you think.

-spudZ :tazz:

Advertisements

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
pretty nice, how much did that cost you?

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
After the case, floppy and CD drives and all that stuff it cost me about 1800$ CAD, that's without monitor and speakers.

-spudZ

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Add another $5 for a seat belt. Looks like a very nice undertaking - Best of luck to you.

:tazz:

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
dang you will love your new computer when it comes ;-)

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
;)

Sweet guys thanks...but before I do anything I have one last question. Will a 400W PS be enough for this computer? I don't want to order my case and then realize that my PS isn't big enough to handle my parts ;). Thanks

Edit: Also, can anyone tell me if I can use a 5.1 speaker system on my motherboard if it says it supports 7 channel audio?

Edited by spudZ, 24 July 2005 - 08:52 AM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
That looks like a fine computer, I bet you can't wait to power the sucker up. :tazz:

The 400w PSU might be a stretch, the 6800GT is a bit of a power hog. What PSU do you have? How many amps? Etc...

EDIT: I believe your speakers should work, as 6 channel is 5.1. Though I'm not 100%, I don't know a whole lot about audio.

Edited by Metalive, 24 July 2005 - 11:53 AM.

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
If the PSU is a generic model coming with a case that is not Antec, Thermaltake etc, you will need to change it.

To be safe, you should look for something with 24A (at least) on the 12V line (try Antec, OCZ, Tagan, Enermax, Zippy, some of the more expensive Coolermasters).

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Yes the case I'm getting is an Antec, so basically the power supply should be fine. I might change cases and go with a 450W though, but i will stay with Antec.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try and get 120mm fans in the case, and the board works with 5.1 speakers.

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
If it's from Antec, you should be ok. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you have a budget to think about i wouldnt bother with sli mobo, you arent going to want to risk a pair of gfx cards for not even a double performance increase.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Wow. When I compare your computer to mine, it makes me start to cry :tazz:

You seem to be a little generous with your budget. Why skimp on the PSU? Antec 450W are good, but with that video card, you may need that little extra push in the @+12V rail. IMO, you should get nothing less than 500W, esp. if you plan to pair up two 6800GTs down the line.

Just my two cents! ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
480W should be sufficient if you can get it, seems to be becoming the standard size for enthusiastsw on a budget to get themselves.

spudZ

spudZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright thanks...I think I might get a 500W anyways just to be on the safe side.