Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant sign on to AOL.

• Please log in to reply

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I went back and chose, conexant HCF V90 56K, but still no luck.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hitman666...

Let's try something a little different. Have your Windows 98 cd handy in case you need it and find the drivers you downloaded earlier so you know where they are in the C drive (ie: C:Rockwell/****) so you can browse to them if need be. Make sure the phone line is plugged in to your modem.

Go to the Device Manager, right click on your modem, and choose "Remove". Remove any and all modems listed. Close the Device Manager.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add New Hardware......Let the Hardware Wizard try to detect the modem. If it shows up in a list that results from the search, put a tick in the button next to "Yes, the device is in the list", select it and click "Next". If it is not listed, tick the "No, the device isn't in the list" and click "Next". Then tick the button beside "No, I want to select the hardware from a list" and click "Next". Scroll to Modem in the list, select it, and click "Next". Put a check in the box "Don't detect my modem, I will select it from a list" and click "Next" In the left window, scroll down to Rockwell and select it...in the right window, scroll down to "Rockwell HFC 56K Data Fax PCI Modem", select it, and click "Next". Choose "Communications Port (Com1)" and click "Next".

From here you will have to follow the prompts.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It detected Rockwell HCF 56K so I went with it, but still nothing. Im probably going to have to take it to someone that works on computers and let them do it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Howdy Hitman666...

Have you tried this? http://support.micro...1173&sid=global

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

Hitman666

Hitman666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I looked on it for a while and really couldnt find anything that I hadnt already tried, I guess Im going to have to do what I said earlier.... hopefully it wont cost much.

Oh yeah, my system keeps going into sleep mode after about an hour of being turned on and not used. Do you know what I would go into to turn this off?

my "system standby" and "turn off monitor" and "turn off hard disks" are all set on 4 hours, but it will turn off long before.