Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP Restore or Recovery Question

• Please log in to reply

SithSpawn

SithSpawn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All!

I'm having trouble reinstalling one of my computers to its original factory settings...

I have two computers that used to be networked on a wireless network. My gaming computer (IBUYPOWER 3.2 GHz Pentium, WinXP SP2)) is wired to my Netgear Wireless router and my other computer (Compaq Presario 1.7 GHz, WinXP SP1) uses a Netgear wireless card. Both computers can still access the internet through my router and DSL line but I lost the ability to transfer files between the two computers a few months ago :tazz:

Recently, the 3.2 GHz computer downloaded a number of adware and/or spyware programs that are really bogging down my system. I've tried Adaware and Spybot, among others and nothing seems to be working...Additionally, the 1.7 GHz computer has picked up a virus which I have been unable to get rid of.

I've decided to restore both computers to their original settings and set up my network from clean systems. I've spent the last 2 days backing up my files on DVDs and CDs. I have the Compaq recovery CD and have used it before but I have no clue how to reformat my IBUYPOWER system. It didn't come with a recovery CD...it came with a CD labeled "i series Recovery CD-ROM" which appears to be a Win XP install CD. I've looked at other posts and it looks like if I re-install WinXP, all of my other files and setting will be untouched. I really want to get rid of everything on the drive and restart from scratch.

All of this leads me to a few questions:
Will re-installing (or repairing) WinXp reformat the drive or restore it to factory settings like I want?
My computer also came with CDs for the motherboard. Will those be needed?
What else could I do to restore the computer to its factory settings?

Any help would be appreciated! ;)

Edited by SithSpawn, 23 July 2005 - 11:28 PM.

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Hello,

Re-installing Windows will mean that you literally start from scratch.

It will erase all files, folders, programs etc, and start out as if it's a new computer. All your factory settings will be restored as it is a new windows.

Werner :tazz:

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The i-series recovery cd will overwrite everything on the existing C drive to give you a fresh installation of xp as when the PC was new. So if you have any of your own stuff on C drive you need to copy it somewhere else first 'cos the recovery process will zap everything on C.
The motherboard CD may be required if you are using integrated sound and/or integrated graphics - the cd will have drivers on it for those, and they can be installed, if necessary, after you've installed XP. But XP has an excellent driver database of it's own so unless the mobo is new you may not need the mobo cd. Install a fresh XP first using the recovery CD, then see what internal devices aren't working (sound, graphics, etc), then see if the mobo CD has the necessary drivers for that device.

Whover told you that all your own files and settings won't be touched when you re-install, they are wrong, very wrong. Re-install (including recovery) deletes all the files currently on the C drive. It's only when you do a 'repair' with the proper xp CD (which you don't have) that your settings and documents are left untouched.

Edited by pip22, 24 July 2005 - 03:59 AM.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
You can use Windows XP repair. You can keep all of your files and clear the operating system files. Click here to learn more about it and how to do it. http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

SithSpawn

SithSpawn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for all the input...

I spent all of last night reformating the hard drive and reinstalling winXP hoping it would work...it did :tazz: but I couldn't figure out how to get my internet connection back up until about 8:00 am this morning

It's amazing...reformatting and re-installing windows on my IBUYPOWER system took about 2 or 3 hours...Using the recovery CD to restore my Compaq to its factory settings only took about fifteen minutes.

Again, Thanks for the help! I'm sure I'll spend the rest of the day getting all of my drivers and other programs udgraded, along with downloading and installing SP2 for both computers...