Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus Gold and spysherrif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

MSRan51

MSRan51

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Can anyone please help..My husbands computer was hijacked BIG time. I cannot even get into windows. 98 OS It hangs up on the safe screen with the hour glass just turning. I have tried everything to get into windows. Please help without reinstallling all.I have some pictures of my Pomeranian which was poisoned 2 years ago on it and want to keep these.I cannot get into it to install the programs to deleate the stuff. I can get the comand prompts to type in but have gotten nowhere. Please help if anyone can. MSRan51 :tazz:

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

This might be a problem. So you can't get into Windows at all (normal or safe mode) without any problems?

I don't know of any antispyware tools that will run from the dos prompt.

Did you try fixing this yourself? If so, what did you do? We'll try to reverse the steps if possible.

If you have another computer, I suggest taking out the hard drive for this computer and put it on the other computer. Mount the hard drive to be the slave drive and boot up the computer. You should see a new drive letter in My Computer. That's your old hard drive. Just copy the pictures over in case something goes wrong.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the reply. When he first told me of the problem I went in and deleated the programs but the red X remained in the tool bar saying the computer was infected. I ran AVG and McAfee he had 11 files with viruses different viruses. All were cleaned. But it would not let me deleat the Antivirus Gold. I ran it and played around on the computer and it seemed okay except when it booted up and the application screen came up it said there was an error in the reg.sys. The next morning he ran it then the yellow flasher came back up in the tool bar. When I turned it on it went into windows fine then froze up after that I can't get into it normal or safe modes. I've tried to boot it from the CD and Boot DR 98 nothing has worked so far. Thanks,,Marilyn

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Marilyn, ok let's give this a try then.

Go to another computer and download smitRem.zip and unzip it to a new folder. Save the whole folder to a floppy or cd. Go back to your computer and in the command prompt, try running the RunThis.bat file. It should create a log file called smitfiles.txt in your c: drive. Give me that log.

Hopefully that will allow you to run the .bat file. If not, post back and we'll try something else.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
when I tried to run it from A drive it said NTLDR is missing press any key to continue and then it says the same thing. I have got the computer to where it goes thru windows 98 screen but the taskm only loads explorer,mcvsrte,wtoolsa,mcupdate,aolacsd,aoltsmon but then it will not go on to the screen it stops loading and the hourglass just turns

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
OK, I see one of the problems there. Try killing/ending wtoolsa and see if Windows will load. If not, end all the entries listed there except for explorer and systray (if that shows up).

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay tried that and it still did not go into windows

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
We have to repair Windows somehow. Do you mind installing Windows 98 over the top of itself? You won't lose any data.

Just make sure you install it as an upgrade so that it doesn't erase your current data. Insert your CD and follow the instructions on the screen. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or in the Windows 98 forum.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
so do I just boot it up and select d drive install or will it just go into the install mode by itself...I have reinstalled one before but erased the drive before hand.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
You just need to boot from the 98 CD and do the install as usual. Install it as an upgrade and not new install. Is Windows on your C: drive or D: drive (since you mentioned d: drive install)? If c: drive, then install it there so that it will reinstall over itself and preserve the data.

Advertisements

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry to keep bothering you....I am on the computer now.Finally got it to run but had to do a new file so I guess I am running only on safe mode,,it will not let me do anything with tyhe monitor so my pic here is hard to see....what do I need to do now thanks,,Marilyn

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Marilyn, what are you trying to do now? Does it allow you to get into Windows now?

If not, I suggest reinstalling Windows by installing it over itself so the data will be preserved. This should fix up the problem (at least temporarily). Just insert the Windows 98 CD and install it over the current installation as an upgrade.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes I am in windows now it would not let me install over it.errors kept stoping me so I decided to try and rename it with just win and put it in a new file it worked but it did not install every thing but I can use it now I am running a scan now and have 5 infected files so far scanning with McAfee :Downloader-ACZ
Downloader-XC
Spyre
Puper
QUrl-4
is it worth fixing from here or do you think I need to burn what I want to keep and start fresh

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Usually when you do a reinstall (over itself or in another folder), the operating system won't be as stable anymore. It's best to start fresh. But you may try using it and see how it goes. It may still work ok.

My suggestion now is to backup your files since you can get into Windows.

Then if you want to clean out the junk (and hold off on the fresh install), do this:

Please read the first link in my signature and follow the steps outlined there. When you are ready, post the HijackThis log here.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay here g0es I finally did a reformate and started from scratch but it will mot let me change the monitor. I only have 16 colors. It is a ViewSonic EA771B Monitor. I finally got it to recognize the monitor but I cannot adjust the settings. I am so frustrated..... :tazz: