Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent screen error on IBM laptop

• Please log in to reply

jay9

jay9

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello peeps

I have an IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop that recently started an intermittent (quite often) problem whereby the screen is so dark it is virtually unreadable.

Trying to change the brilliance/lighting functions has no impact.

Moving the screen angle back and forth in various angles sometimes works, other times nothing works and I just have to turn it off.

Although it's an old clunker it's in good condition and does what I need it for (remote working on Excel, email, Word) and enables us to take the laptop to the in-laws to show them holiday pics etc.

I'd have to spend $$ to get a replacement so spending $$ on a part is just as easy cos then I don't have to worry about getting files off it.

Is this problem fixable (new part/screen) or being a laptop is the only resolution to use an external monitor?

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
If you have an external monitor that you can borrow, for a few minutes then I would try connecting your laptop to the external monitor to see if the problem persists. (this is also assuming that your "old clunker" has a VGA port for an external monitor). I have a feeling though that the screen is to blame and it may just be easier (albeit not cheaper) to get a new laptop. To be honest with you I dont know off hand the going rate for a laptop monitor repair, so you might want to check around to see if you can get a good price for the monitor repair.

Anyways, if the external monitor works then you can go ahead and find a reapir/replacement, but if it doesn't work then the problem will probably lie within the computer itself, or more likely, a setting withing the monitor or display properties.

--Chris

jay9

jay9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

If you have an external monitor that you can borrow, for a few minutes then I would try connecting your laptop to the external monitor to see if the problem persists. (this is also assuming that your "old clunker" has a VGA port for an external monitor). 

Thanks Chris
I hadn't thought of actually checking it would work with the external monitor, I just assumed it would :tazz:

I'll check it does work and then hunt out some prices

j9

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
happy hunting! Let me know how it all turns out.

--Chris