Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't shutdown

• Please log in to reply

scout1

scout1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Working on my desktop (XP system). This is the wife's/kid's computer so I'm typically not on it. While attempting to correct an errant install with a system restore, I ran into another problem. Windows does not shutdown. Gets to the screen where it says it's shutting down but will not continue. When I asked the family abaout this they informed me that it has been doing this for some time. When it gets to that point, they just kill power. :tazz:

Anyways, the fact that it won't completely shutdown is preventing me to complete a system restore. So I guess I need to fix this problem first and need assistance.

What do I need to do ?

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
you might have a virus or malware corrupting your computer. have you considered downloading Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder etc?

scout1

scout1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Both Ad-Aware and Spybot says the system is clean. I run McAfee anti-Virus and have ZoneAlarm for a front end. Since I got ZA, and had along talk with the family about downloading stuff, really haven't had an issue over the last 4-5 months.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
try going here.

follow all recommendations there. if nothing comes up after ALL of the scans, go to the malware forum and see if the experts there pick anything up. personally, i think that malware is the only cause for this. :tazz: