Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help needed with Sony CD-RW CRX320E unit urgently!

• Please log in to reply

Solostrike

Solostrike

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,
I have a limited amount of time to transfer some information from a PC to CD-R, however the drive I am using refuses to burn correctly. I was hoping that one of you kind souls could perhaps help me if possible :tazz:

I am using a Sony CRX320E with Win XP sp2. I have read on the net that this drive has issues burning with this version of Windows, is this causing the problem? If so is there a way to get round this? The drive is visable in Device Manager and it claims it is working correctly (!).

If someone with more technical knowledge than myself could spare some time to help me it would be vastly apprieciated ;)

Many thanks,
Tom

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I would be happy to help you with this, but I'm going to need som einformation from you first...

What exactly is the problem? Does it not even start burning? Will it quit in the middle of burning? What error mesages (if any) are you getting? And when during the whole process of burning do you get these? Do you have the latest firmware/driver upgrades for your burner? Did it work before and it sudenly stopped working, or has it ever worked at all? Finally, what burning program are you using? NERO/Windows/Roxio etc.

If you could post back with this information I'll be happy to help you further.

--Chris

Solostrike

Solostrike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I would be happy to help you with this, but I'm going to need som einformation from you first...

What exactly is the problem?  Does it not even start burning? Will it quit in the middle of burning? What error mesages (if any) are you getting? And when during the whole process of burning do you get these?  Do you have the latest firmware/driver upgrades for your burner?  Did it work before and it sudenly stopped working, or has it ever worked at all?  Finally, what burning program are you using? NERO/Windows/Roxio etc.

If you could post back with this information I'll be happy to help you further.

--Chris

View Post

Hi Chris, cheers for replying :tazz:

Basically the problem is that the CD appears to burn OK with all tracks going to the disc. However, when I try to play the CD it refuses to work, although the tracks show up in Explorer. It doesn't stop in the middle of burning or anything. I have tried with Nero, Windows, iTunes, etc, nothing seems to work. I updated the firmware to the latest setting (NYK5) a little while ago, that hasn't worked and I can't find the latest drivers anywhere, although I did get a message after I installed them and tried to burn a disc saying certain drivers have been stopped from working relating to the CD-R drive as they pose a threat?! (Not exact words)

The driver date I have is 01/07/2001 and the driver code is 5.1.2535.0. This unit has never worked for audio - its on my parents computer and I am visiting at the moment. The most I have ever got from it is a few CD's of data from burning from Windows (didn't work with other programs).

Thanks for any help you can give ;)
Tom

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Wow, looks like you've bene through the ringer with this one. One thing though, what brand om media are you using? Somtimes, if you get a bad batch of blank CDs (or buy a cheap brand) they wont always work. This might be the case since you say that it looks like it burns fine. Try getting a good brand of blank CDs and then trying to burn a music CD again. I would highly reccomend using Verbatim brand CDs, they work beutifully with all of my burners. I would also ASSUME, emphasis on the assume that Sony brand media would work very well with your sony burner.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 24 July 2005 - 05:00 PM.

Solostrike

Solostrike

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Wow, looks like you've bene through the ringer with this one.  One thing though, what brand om media are you using?  Somtimes, if you get a bad batch of blank CDs (or buy a cheap brand) they wont always work.  This might be the case since you say that it looks like it burns fine.  Try getting a good brand of blank CDs and then trying to burn a music CD again.  I would highly reccomend using Verbatim brand CDs, they work beutifully with all of my burners. I would also ASSUME, emphasis on the assume that Sony brand media would work very well with your sony burner. 

--Chris

View Post

I'm using TDK CD-R audio 80 min discs, which were fairly expensive and I have found these to be reliable before. I've tried a few different sorts but I've made nothing work bar, as I say, a few data CD's burnt from Windows with another brand of disc. All very annoying! Esp. as the unit was like this when my parents bought the machine and the guy who built it says there's nothing he can do about it. All very shoddy.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Sorry about the long time between replies, I've been very busy. Anyways, if the guy who built it says he cant do any thing, maybe you could get an RMA and return it directly to the manufacturer. Also, make suer that the device your playing the burned CDs on (like your stereo, portable CD player, etc.) has theto play CD-R's. Alot of the older stereos out ther dont have this capability. If your not sure check the box it came in or the documentation.

--Chris