Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem deleting user account

• Please log in to reply

ponchoman70

ponchoman70

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am trying to delete a user account on windows xp. The account will not let anyone log into the account for some reason. When I try to delete this account thru the administrators account it will not let me. Nothing happens. It just holds on the deleting account page and goes no further. I usually comes up with a "program not responding" .
Has anyone had this problem before? Is there another way around this to delete the account? Im not worried about saving any files on that account I just want to remove it from the computer.
Could there be a virus that is in that account that is not letting anyone access it or delete it?
Thanks in advance.

Jim

Advertisements

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
if you suspect that a virus is causing this, i recommend going to this link and following the recommendations there.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

ponchoman70

ponchoman70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm really not sure if this is a virus. I have never had something like this happen before. It not on my computer either. I am trying to help out a friend with this so im not right in front of the computer to try stuff. Im just trying to get as much info as I can about deleting the account.
Thank you very much for the response though.

Jim

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just for clarification purposes, did your friend create this account?? If not, what name does the account go by??

Murray

ponchoman70

ponchoman70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the warm welcome !
Yes this account was created by her son. Apparently they were using it at one point but after a while they could no longer log into the account? This happened to a couple other account on the same computer but she was able to delete them with no problems. Its just this account that is being pain ..lol.

Edited by ponchoman70, 24 July 2005 - 08:34 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay..

Is this account an Admin account or a limited user account??

What happens when you try to log into this account (error messages) ??

Have you tried logging on as the System Administrator and removing the account that way??

Have you tried logging on as the System Administrator and removing the account through c:>Documents and Settings??

Murray

ponchoman70

ponchoman70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no this is a limited user account. Im actually not sure about what it does when you try to log into that account. I never actually tried to log into it. ( guess i should have ..oops ) All i tried to do is delete the account.
Yes I have tried to remove it with the system addministrator account. That is the only way I know how to remove an account. I havent tried to remove it with c:>Documents and Settings. I did not know that you could remove an account there? I'll have to try that.
Anymore advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot,

Jim

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try logging in first and see what it says..

Murray

ponchoman70

ponchoman70

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i will try that. It may take me a while to get a response back. I may not be able to get in touch with her for a while to see what it is actually doing.
Thanks again. As soon as I know something I will let you know.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. I have this topic set to notify me when there is a reply so I will wait for you to respond when you can !!

Murray