Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card, graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

Aishenne

Aishenne

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi. My brother just got my pc fixed with a new motherboard and memory, but he said the technician said something like he removed the graphics card because it's busted and the pc won't start with it installed.

My problem is that I'm confused whether I should buy a graphics(video?) card or sound card :tazz: or is there a 2-in-one thing to these? The label on the thing that was removed from our pc was 'Inno3d,' and I looked it up and it was a video card, but the problem with the pc now is that it has no sound too. Is that card for both sound and video? Or do I have to buy one sound and one video card separately? ;)

Thanks.. I'm really such a non-techie I can't even identify what the components in the chassis are ;) .

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look to see if you have onboard sound.

Post the make and model of the motherboard or look it up with Everest Home, which will also tell you a lot about what is on your PC

http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Edited by Keith, 24 July 2005 - 08:37 AM.

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Under the 'sound, video, and game controllers,' it lists:
-audio codecs
-legacy audio drivers
-legacy video capture devices
-media control devices
-video codeds

The Everest software came up with this info (attached image).

The hardware that was removed was Inno3d (Innovison TNT2 M64 W/32MB). Doesn't say whether it's for video or sound though.. :tazz: .

Attached Thumbnails

• motherboard.gif

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In Everest, click + next to computer then summary and look to see what it says for display, (video adapter) and mutimedia, (audio adapter)

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
For Display
-windows video
-pci/agp video
-gpu
-monitor
-desktop
-multi-monitor
-openGL

For Multimedia
-windows audio
-pci/pnp audio

I remember the technician said something like there'd be an attached card on the motherboard and it should work fine without the Inno3d they detached... but yeah, there's no sound. Although I tried playing an .avi and it shows the graphics, just soundless. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get a CD for the Motherboard, if so the drivers will be on there, most likely realtek

cubes2k2

cubes2k2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thats definately a video baord.... w/o a doubt

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, I installed Realtek and the sounds worked, thanks!

I have some other questions though... In the 'Sounds' folder there are a lot of other folders aside from Realtek... should I install all those too? :tazz:

Also, there are a lot of other folders in the CD, including a 'VGA' folder. Should I also install the stuff in there? I was wondering if there was a video driver there somewhre? ;)

Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would look at installing the Video Graphics Array (VGA) software.

Anything which is already on there will / should show this by asking if you want to remove it.

As for the other files in sound, could you post their names so someone can say if they are necessary

If you want to post a list of the main headings available on the CD someone can look at this also

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, in the VGA folder, there are subfolders:
845_865
km400
p4m266_km266
k8m800
pm800_880

There are setup files in each folder I think :tazz: should I install all or just choose one?

;)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is likely there is only one set up file per folder, if you press a set up file after it has installed, it will usually ask if you want to uninstall.

Try all of them, if any are not suitable for your board then they won't load.

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi, I tried all setup files, and only one of them installed. Does that mean I don't need to buy a separate graphics card anymore, that the one in the motherboard is enough?

Other folders are:
IDE
modem
peripheral
usb
lan
RAID
utility

aside from the Sould and VGA folders.

Should I also install stuff from the other folders? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From the list

IDE yes

Modem you can leave this if connecting is already fine

Peripheral look to see if opening the folder tells you what is involved

USB is already taken care of with by XP (SP2 especially).

Lan you can leave this as per the modem

RAID only for multiple hard drives

Utility, this is likely to be something which deals with updating the BIOS at least and possibly other items so optional but not harmful if you do install it

Hope that's clear, post back if peripheral and utility are not straightforward