Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi! I want to learn how to make progarams...

• Please log in to reply

akashlee

akashlee

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
High School finishers please come here....
This is because I want to learn to make programs, doesn't have to be just game making. I do know HTML, so I am thinking of learning another computer language. A computer language that you have to learn to get through high school computer class... and one that is useful and get me money....
So yeah...
Please tell me where to start. Remember I am still young (almost 13 - in about 2 months I will be)

But don't hold back any thing just becuase I am young, because I am still good in computers...Compared to the people around me and my age at least.... :tazz:

So :help:

PS: I have so little knowledge that...well...
could you guys also post up what language does what ;) :help: ;)

Edited by akashlee, 24 July 2005 - 09:50 AM.

Advertisements

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just graduated with a Computer Science degree, and most of my classes were based on C++. However, I think that Java is slowly taking over. It seemed like most of the incoming freshman and underclassman were taking Java classes rather than C++ classes. Both languages are similar and if you understand one, it won't be hard to learn the other. I would suggest Java because it seems to be the more popular of the two.

As long as you learn some type of Object Oriented Language (i.e. C, C++, Java) you will be on the right track.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Java :tazz:
Go C++ ;)

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Java is definitely taking over. This would be the way I'd go.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
learn both. do c++ first. then you will appreciate java.

java is similar to c++, without the headaches

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
You don't get headaches from C++ once you know it :tazz:

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I agree. I actually prefer C++ to Java, but it seems like many professors are pushing Java much harder than C++.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
java sales pitch:

here are some thing to consider when selecting a language for a project.

does it have to be platform independent?
how many programmers are on the project and what is their level of expertise?
what are the time restraints of the project - do you have a tight schedule?

does it have to be platform independent? if your code has to be portable, you may have to rewrite code for each platform. this is much more likely with c++ than with java. can your company afford this expense?

how many programmers are on the project and what is their level of expertise? are all of your programmers c++ experts? great, use c++. are they going to be with your company in 6 months? great, use c++. if not, you might want to use java. if you as the java project manager are the expert, you can hire a bunch of college grads for a lot less than you could a group of experts. can your company afford the experts - if so, use c++.

what are the time restraints of the project - do you have a tight schedule? development time for java is reduced because of 2 of the strengths of java - the compiler and the java runtime machine. c++ compilers have improved, but none give the precise info that the java compiler provides. you not only get line number info(which most c++ compilers give) but the details of the compile error is superior with java(i.e. it will give the specific exceptions required, data type info, ...). the java runtime machine is even more incredible. has you ever incremented an array index out of range? C++ will continue to execute until it crashes(could be immediately, or not), or even worse it might run for 3 days, then start to report bad data. java will report the error immediately, with the source code filename and the line number. can your company afford to chase down these types or errors?

this ends volume 1 of the java sales pitch. save your company money - use java.

but learn and use c++ for fun.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
You don't have to re-write the code, if you write it properly first, just don't use Operating System functions, try use global functions that will work on all Operating systems.

akashlee

akashlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
this 13 year old has decided....
i think i will go with the easier one...lol
so which one is that?

Advertisements

j_r_auden

j_r_auden

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
C++ is much easier to learn

chickenman

chickenman

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Use C++, It's a very fast language and python \ assembly can be used with it.

As your new to programming you may have some problems geting started. But there are a lot of C++ tutorials out there.

First i recomend you get your self a (free) IDE with compiler like Dev-cpp.
http://www.bloodshed...dev/devcpp.html

Next get your self some tutorials or a Book on C++, here are some good websites with tutorials.

www.cprogramming.com
http://devcentral.it...C /default.php
http://www.programmi.../cplusplus.aspx

Java is also a good language to learn but it will never be better than C++. :tazz:

duckie

duckie

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there, I'd say C++ too.
Personally I learned Java before C++ and found it hard to suddenly have to worry about pointers and memory management.

akashlee

akashlee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
fespite what people have told me....
i have started to do java
but everytime i try extracting it....
it gives me a message like -

C:\>java compiler add.java
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: compiler

why the [bleep] does it do that?