Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Harddrive problem

• Please log in to reply

deano6410

deano6410

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, great forum.

I have a 120 gig harddrive and it is now showing up as 1.99 gig, and each time i load windows it says i should free up more space ;) there is nothing on the HD except windows so i should have 121 gig free.

I am on ME, it says i have a FAT partition, but i am not sure if that is what i SHOULD have, as i am not very technical.

The pc also resets itself a lot, usually preceeded by a beep, infact sometimes it resets 2 or 3 times within the first 10 seconds of a boot. ;)

it clearly doesnt like something, and i havent a clue what, but seeing as 120 gig of my harddrive has gone, i presume it may be that.

It also said something about being in Ms-Dos comapibility mode and this would reduce performance. :tazz:

And to make matters even worse i have lost my boot disk and thus dont know how to format the pc without it (any suggestions?)

I look forward to some help as i am really struggling.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

Dam Right

Dam Right

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think that you should get yourself a Windows XP disc and install Windows XP on your computer.

deano6410

deano6410

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have an XP disk, but my PC hates it.

It crashes a fair bit now, but with XP it wont go more than a few minutes without crashing. When i upgraded the motherboard the shop owner said it is not very compatible with XP, wish he had told me prior to buying it :tazz:

Anyway, XP is not an option. Could i use Linux?

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

the shop owner said it is not very compatible with XP

what motherboard is it?

i have an XP disk, but my PC hates it.

You mean it hates it when you try to reformat and reinstall? If not, then this is what I'd suggest since there is only Windows on your computer.

You could try the built in repair option, if your computer will let you get to it. Read this topic about how to access the repair option using your boot disk.

One more thing, although unlikely from the sound of it, what wattage is your Power Supply and who made it? If it is less than 400W, or from an unreliable company, it might be experiencing power distribution errors, which would explain the random restarts.

Edited by UV_Power, 24 July 2005 - 11:44 AM.