Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP HDD probs

• Please log in to reply

wooza

wooza

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
hello im tryin to reinstall XP but when i insert the disk, reboot and boot up using cd, the windows setup blue screen appears, drivers load etc. then i get a message saying no hard disk drives were found on this computer, please make sue they have a power supply etc. Setup cannot complete. Try runnning a diagnostics. Does any body know what this is, why it is doing it and how i can successfully reinstall XP?

thanks
liam

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you checked in BIOS to make sure your hdd was being recognized??

Did you have your system open for any reason??

Are you using an original XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you (different procedure)??

and, lastly.. Why are you re-installing??

Murray

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It is possible that something is wrong with your hard drive, the power or signal connections to it, or with the disk controller on the motherboard.

First, power off and check all connections. Then try re-installing XP.

If XP still fails to see the disks, think about whether they are plain IDE (ATA) disks, or are thye "RAID" or "SCSI" or maybe "SATA". If any of these, XP will not see them unless you hit F6 early in the install process and provide the appropriate drivers on a floppy (not on a CD, only on floppy). These drivers come from whomever made the disk controller, usually the motherboard maker.

If none of these work, then check whether the hard drive is "seen" by the BIOS. Watch the black screen with white characters that appears just as the PC reboots, long before it reads the XP CDROM. In order to see everything, watch for a message about pressing some pecal key(s) to view the "POST". Do not press the key(s) to enter the BIOS setup, which may also e shown briefly on the screen. If the BIOS can not see the disk, then XP has no chance. Think about removing the disk and testing it in a different PC.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi guys thanks for replying so fast and with such useful information.

Well the XP is indeed a copy (im a bad bad man)
Im reinstalling because i have an on going "kernel_stack_inpage_error" and have a very very small hope that this might relieve the problem. Also ive been running the system 7 months now and feel its time for a fresh start.
I took my computer to pieces last week to install a new heatsink, so its likely that the disks arent connected properly, but wudnt this have stopped them from working correctly ne way?
I believe i am running RAID disks but im not entirely sure.

Liam

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hello,

We cannot help you here unless you get a official copy of Windows XP.

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
aahhhhh jeez that sucks. Im sure youve had a copied version of windows or own at least one illegal program on your computer

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
As you are using an illegal version of XP, your support with this problem terminates now..

Should you purchase a license from Microsoft or a legal version, then that support may be started again..

BTW, every program on every one of my systems are legal versions.. Too bad your's weren't or we would be able to help!!

Murray

wooza

wooza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
in actual fact the version of windows XP that is currently installed on my system is legel. It is only the version i have been tryin to install on to the system that isnt a legal version. Im not here to cause trouble mate, i just dont know alot about computers and if i cant get help about installing XP (which i fully understand why you cant provide me with help) then could i get some help on my kernel issue? liam

Edited by wooza, 24 July 2005 - 01:16 PM.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
good to see some experienced peeps reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go to Windows Validation and run the Validation Wizard..

Copy a screen shot of the outcome and paste it here..

Murray

bugmenot

bugmenot

Banned - BugMeNot not allowed

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
wow what a bunch of wusses