Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect Linksys BEFW11S4 to BT Voyager 205 ADSL

• Please log in to reply

badhobbit

badhobbit

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a BT Voyager 205 ADSL/Router. I also have a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router (which I brought to the UK from Canada). I am trying to connect the two so I can use wireless communication.

I tried contacting BT a few time and the best I got was a bunch of configutation settings that don't seem to apply to my ADSL/Router.

I did have this working briefly when I plugged the ASDL/Router into one of the LAN ports on the Linksys box (instead of using the Internet port) but it was short lived and soon stopped working.

Has anyone done this? If so, a brief description of the steps would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
so are both devices adsl routers with a wan imput, one being wireless the other being wired, and if this is nthe case which one is actually connecting to the wan?

badhobbit

badhobbit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The BT Voyager is an ADSL/Router. The Linksys is just a wireless router with an "Internet WAN" port.

The ADSL interface on the BT Voyageur is connected to the phone line and the Ethernet port is connected to the "WAN Internet" port on the Linksys router.

My WIreless devices can communicate with the Linksys wireless router but not beyond that. It appears that communicaiton between the two "routers" is not occurring. One or the other or both of them are probably just not configured properly.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
are both ips in range ect?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Probably the voyager being a batty have you tried resting the 205 and setting it to default and working on from there.

badhobbit

badhobbit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I've tried resetting the BT router, then turning them on in sequence (BT first, then Linksys, then wireless notebook). I did have to change the IP address of the Lnksys as it used the same default IP as the BT router (192.168.1.1).

I'm puzzled that this does not work cleanly as router are designed and intended to talk to one another. Can't be rocket science!!

THanks