Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Ping, No Print Spooler

• Please log in to reply

Old Mech Eng

Old Mech Eng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please excuse this neophyte.

I could print to my "network" printer" now I can't. Message is "print spooler not available". Printer and Faxes list shows printer as default and shared but not connected. It used to be connected. Ineed to be able to print again. :tazz:

My Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop running XP Pro has LAN cable and wireless to my NETGEAR hub. My Dell A960 printer/Fax is connected to my Dell Desktop also XP Pro. I have been networked and able to use printer for months. Not any more.

Network Troubleshooter from Microsoft says among other things that I "might have two computers on network with the same name". I do see two different IP addresses assigned for wired ".0.3" and wireless ".0.4" Both connections seem to exist in parralell. Is that a problem? Disconnecting the wireless did not correct problem.

I tried to ping desktop from laptop but "timed out". The Dell on-line chat cut me off three times and didn't have a clue of what key words to look up.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I could print to my "network" printer" now I can't.

When you say now I cant, do you mean to say that it all of a sudden stopped working? Did you change anything recently so far as your network settings are concerned? Did you add any new computers to your network or update any drivers recently?

--Chris

Old Mech Eng

Old Mech Eng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No new computers, no driver updates. I hadn't printed in a few days when it became evident. I do have auto-update, auto-install with Symantec and auto-update manual install for windows XP.

Some time ago I ran Registry Mechanic by PC Tools, but I am unsure if it was between print and no print.