Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games won't start

• Please log in to reply

Virused

Virused

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi people

I was hoping for some advise in relation to the following problem:

When surfing, my computer will randomly freeze. Everything still works but the exporer window is 'stuck'. I can minimise the window and open other folders, but ie remains frozen until i open up task manager which seems to un-freeze it. Wierd, but not a huge problem.

However, the same thing seem to have effected my games. When i double click a desktop icon: nothing. When I attempt to start the game through the start menu, or by inserting the disc: nothing. Even double clicking the .exe in the game file in program manager does nothing (except kick me back into the desktop).

In addition, right clicking on the desktop shortcut or .exe icon does nothing. this time everything except the desktop background disappears for a couple of seconds, then reappears, thats it. And its not just the game in question; i can't right click on any.exe file or shortcut to a .exe file. I have managed to get some of my games that have been on my system for ages working - by opening them through the start menu and keeping task manager running.

Ok, so thats the problem - heres what ive tried so far to fix it:

McAfee 2004 v6 (fully updated)
Adaware (latest version)
Various spyware prgs (S&D, Spycleaner etc)
CW shredder
Various registry cleaners
Windows (xp home) full repair (but not a reinstall)
Disk clean up

Ive been searching the forums for a couple of weeks now and nobody else seems to have experienced this problem. McAfee did find something called logon.exe but didnt recognise it as a virus, just something requesting internet access.

Help!!

:tazz:

Advertisements

in_texas_dallas

in_texas_dallas

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Weird, what are your system specs

e.g.:

Chipset (amd/intel)
processor speed (e.g. 500MHz, 2.0 Ghz)
RAM
Graphics card
etc
etc
etc

If the task mon solves it, just always run taskmon, just minimize it and it doesn't affect system performance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start with this

start > run, type
regedit
<enter>

navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell key, then look in the right pane...anything?

The only entry should be DeFAULT, with a type of REG-SZ and a DATA of NONE.....

Anything else, delete it...reboot.

Change anything?
if there is more than that one, delete it....if the only one there has a different DATA value, double click it and replace what is there with NONE

Virused

Virused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok - i can navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

But there isn't a folder called "shell key"

In the Directory folder i have:

Shell
Shellex
DefaultIcon