Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG or Avast?

• Please log in to reply

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
i currently use AVG 7.0 Free Edition. i have had it for the past year now and it's worked fine, but i hear people talk about Avast! Home Edition and from what i've heard, it's a very good program. now, here's the question. which is the best to have? AVG or AVAST?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the one you like...and will use. I assume you mean the free versions

They are very similar in track record, though it tends to swing....for a while there AVAST seemed to rank higher in viruses caught, but it seems to be swinging back to AVG from the more recent reviews I've read.

Both are memory resident, both scan email, so that is nice.

Both will check for new updates -- avast checks on a "every XXX minutes" standard, while AVG checks on a given hour in one day.

Avg does have a schedule system scan, which is nice....Avast does not.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Avast includes a Boot Time Scanner which is much more important then a scheduled scan, since it is the only way to clean some infections.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
AVG, I find that it does EVEYTHING that you need in an AVG and dectect EVERYTHING and it has updates every 24-48 hours a day and there is a scan that takes place every 24 hours. say if you set that scan to 10am, AVG will automatically scan at 10am as long as your computer is on.

If you have everything set correctly, you can get it to wipe virus and alert you of them as you get them (if you do)

AVG is the one I highly recommend

:tazz: ;)

Edited by Tony_1983, 24 July 2005 - 06:58 PM.

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I also prefer AVG antivirus. It is alot more intuitive from what I can see, and what I recommend to all of my customers.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

AVG, I find that it does EVEYTHING that you need in an AVG

Except a boot time scan.

It is alot more intuitive from what I can see, and what I recommend to all of my customers.

If you turn off the skin off on Avast it is super simple to use.

LIONWOODS

LIONWOODS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
You're making this tough haha. ;). It's hard to decide. Maybe it's time to switch, maybe not. Looks like the two are pretty evenly matched. Too bad I can't have both. :tazz:

From what I've heard, I'll stick with AVG for now. Thanks for the reviews guys.

dancerdog3

dancerdog3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For HOME users both AVG and Avast! free editions are way better than Norton or Mcafee. AVG and Avast both catch the viruses and are not resource pigs.
:tazz:
For BUSINESS users both AVG and Avast! are way better than Norton or Mcafee. For the same reasons. The version that you pay for has more options than the free home editions.
;)
My favorite is Avast! Pro. I use this for my business. The reason it is better is that they have a support system that uses a forum (like this one) and that often the responses are from the engineers who wrote the program.

My vote is for Avast!... with AVG coming in a very close second. And, at the bottom of the field Norton and Mcafee are tied.