Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure if I've got a Malware Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scout1

scout1

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Posted up on the XP forum. Thought I try here as well.
About a month ago, noticed everytime I logged onto my web sevice to check email, I got a pop up "Windows Installer", Preparing to install". Would stay there for a couple of seconds then go away. Everything seemed to work ok, so figured a nuissance item. Tried loading a program about 2 weeks ago and the system would not permit it. Says an install is currently in process. Need to complete it first. OK, now more than a nuissance. No other program had the pop-up occur so figured it was specific to Yahoo. Last night, had the pop-up occur when I went into Spyblaster. Haven't been there in awhile. Also found out that Windows was NOT shutting down. Family computer that I'm rarely on. Shutting dwn gets to the "Windows is shutting down" and freezes. Problem #2.

Suggestion from the XP forum was to perform a system restore. Only problem is to complete the restore, you have to re-boot. Without Windows shutting down (only way is to kill the power now), restore properties won't invoke. In fact, most system changes (or all) require a re-boot, which my desktop doesn't want to perform.

Ad-Aware, Spybot and TrendMicro tell me I'm clean. Though they've been denied access into a folder on the c drive. Read only and it won't let me change it. Looks like a windows install folder but not sure why its on C instead of buried down some.

Running XP SP2. Have ZoneAlarm frontend, McAfee anti-virus, Microsoft Anti-Spy and Spyblaster (had an issue last winter). Any help would be appreciated. Question is whether this is malware (freezing a shutdown would appear to be an effective survival technique) or an errant update to windows went awry. Downloaded the latest Windows patch. Ran it, but it requires a re-boot. So no dice.

Can provide Hijack log, trendmicro log, etc .... Just not sure what I'm looking for.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi,

We seem to have missed your log in the heavy traffic.

Please post the latest Hijack This log. We will take it up from there

scout1

scout1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Logs have been posted on a sperate post under scout1. Post date is 26 July, I believe.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Scout1,

I will close this topic and pick up the other one.

However since it has been some time since you posted the last HJT log, I would still need a new HJT log. Please post it in the other topic.