Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard reset for BIOS

• Please log in to reply

MarvinL

MarvinL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have just completed my first attempt to build my computer. I used an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB, have 3 (yes I mis-ordered and kept the third one) 250 MD SATA Western Digital HD's and a Maxtor SATA DVD-CD Burner, 1 GB Corsair dual channel memory and an AMD 64 CPU. I started off with the SATA cables plugged into the RAID ports on the MB. I have changed them to the other ports as I don't want a RAID confugration. I have messed something up royally. When I hit "Del" to go to BIOS, during POST, I see a RAID Configuration screen. I can hit 'CTRL- E' to get out but then all I see is what appears to be the very tail end of the BIOS screen. It lists the devices but none of the function keys work. The Escape doesn't work, the up/down keys don't work. Nothing seems to work.

Is there a way to "Hard" reset BIOS? I have tried booting with a floopy (that works) but when I try running 'awdflash' after downloading new bios from ASUS and changing the name to A8N-SLI.BIN as instructed (page 4.2) it says that it is a bad or not recognized file.

I am hopelessly lost at the moment. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Marvin

Advertisements

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Have you tried resetting CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard (check your manual) or otherwise removing the battery for a couple of minutes?

MarvinL

MarvinL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks KGH... No I haven't but willt omorrow when I get back to the computer.... appreciate it

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Have you tried resetting CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard (check your manual) or otherwise removing the battery for a couple of minutes?

This should do it, but please follow up MarvinL after you get a chance, because I am curious to see if it might be another problem...

Edited by UV_Power, 25 July 2005 - 03:37 PM.

MarvinL

MarvinL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Happy to report that it was [bleep] pit error not hardware problems... got it up and going and win XP 64 found the drive (only had one plugged in at the time), formatted it and installed win XP with no problems. I have subsequently found that one of the 3 drives is bad, but 2 out of 3 are now formatted and this thing screams.... i.e., very, very fast...

Thanks for all the help!

:tazz:

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Anytime! Feel free to post any future complications that you need help with...