Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP don't boot from CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

paulojam

paulojam

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm a computer builder, and I'm just trying to finish an upgrade.

The new configuration is:

MB GIGABYTE GA-8GPNXP
1024 MB TWINMOS DDR 400
VGA ASUS N6200GE

2 IDE/ATA HD
2 IDE/ATA CD-ROM

Only the optical drives and the disks are from the old PC.

The big problem is that I can't boot from CD. I've allready configured the BIOS to start from CD-ROM, but nothing...

When the computer starts, it detects the OPTICAL DRIVES and the HARD DRIVES, it says that detected a bootable CD, but that message "Press any key to boot from CD ..." never apears ...

I've tried all the possible BIOS configurations (I think ...) and I've also tried using an Windows 98 statup diskette, but in that case the OPTICAL DRIVES are not detected ?!?!?!

So I can't access the CD ...

I'm desperate ... I don't know what to do ... And the client is waiting ...

I'm doing this kind of job for some years and I never saw anything like this ...

If anyone could help me with this problem I would be very grateful !!

Thanks !!

Edited by paulojam, 24 July 2005 - 04:08 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

What os cd are you trying to boot from??

Is this cd an original or a copy you or someone made for you (totally different setup and install procedure)..

Murray

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The CD's are Windows XP copies ...
But they work just fine on other pc's ...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

The CD's are Windows XP copies ...
But they work just fine on other pc's ...

View Post

Sorry, but we don't supply support for copied/pirated programs therefore it ends now.. get a legal copy and we can begin again..

Murray

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
EXCUSE ME !!!!

THE CDs ARE COPY FROM ANOTHER ORIGINAL BECAUSE I ALSO TRIED THE ORIGINAL I HAVE HERE AND IT DIDN'T WORK, OK!!!!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You didn't say that now did you!!

Were you getting an error message with the "original" cd as well??

I have only seen two instances where a "bootable" cd would not boot a system..

One was with a copied cd (as you are stating) and the other was with a pirated version..

Murray

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is not a problem related to the CD, because I tried with the two "kinds" of cd's, as I told before...

The problem here has to be related with the motherboard, drivers, or BIOS configuration (I don't think so ...).

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. you are saying the drives are being recognized during POST..

Just for the heck of it, go into BIOS and make sure they are being recognized in there..

Also, what is the physical configuration per IDE cable?? Seing as though you do build these, I am quite sure you made sure one was set as master and one as slave correct??

Murray

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This board supports 3 IDE channels. So I have the two hard drives on one IDE channel (one as master and the oder one as slave), and I have the other two optical drives on one IDE channel each, as master off course.

In BIOS they are NOT RECOGNIZED !! Only the hard drives ....

Edited by paulojam, 25 July 2005 - 08:25 AM.

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Latest test ...

With just an hard drive without OS.
With a WINDOWS XP ORIGINAL on the CD drive.

ERROR MESSAGES:

"CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR"

"NTLDR is missing
Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart"

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Error message probably means you have a bad cd or it isn't booting from the cd and is finding a bad install on one of the hdd's..

That particular mobo has one ATA66/100 slot and two ATA133 slots for IDE..

What are the hdd's and cd-roms rated as??

Suggest you put ONE hdd and ONE cdrom on ONE IDE cable (jumper them correctly) and hook that up to the 66/100 slot..

Also, the ATA133 connectors would require an 80 wire/40 pin IDE cable.. That what you are using??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 25 July 2005 - 10:13 AM.

paulojam

paulojam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ALELUIA !!!

Before I read your post, I tried to connect the hard drive on another IDE channel and switch with the CD-ROM drive... What happened:
the system recognized the WINDOWS XP CD, BUT didn't recognized the hard drive ... Unless I charged the RAID driver with F6 during WINDOWS XP CD boot ...

Then I realized that, if I connect both one hard disk and the CD-ROM drive it would work ... Before I tried this, I read your post who said exactly the same ...

And guess what ?...

IT WORKED !!!!

I finally could install a fresh WINDOWS XP on the hard drive and the WINDOWS XP recognize the other disk (different IDE cable) and the other optical drive (different IDE cable)...

CONCLUSION:

This was only a problem with the RAID controler, because the system just see the drives connected to IDE 0 ... The system only recognizes the drives connected to IDE 1 and 2 after reading the drivers ...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! IT WAS REALLY DIFICULT TO SOLVE THIS ONE !!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Murray windows boot cds arent illegal no matter how they are obtainbed its wether you have a valid windows liscence that matters. Also its only you that refuses to help people with illegitatimate anything most people really dont care or prefer not to mention it so get off your high horse. the boot disks are given out free 9 times out of 10 jese i dont know some people and there anti pirating ness.

sorry for the bit of a flame i just thought you desrved it especially after i saw you get a guy to validate his windows under the pretense it would fix his problems i thought it was bang out of order.

Edited by warriorscot, 26 July 2005 - 06:30 AM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Also its only you that refuses to help people with illegitatimate anything most people really dont care or prefer not to mention it so get off your high horse

I think I will step in here and correct this before it gets out of hand!

• The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

I have highlighted the pertinent information in this part of the TOS that allows murray S to be on his "high horse." this includes copying of software that states right in the license that the info is copywritten and May not be copied without the express written consent of the manufacturer" If you read the license agreement for Windows software it is stated there.