Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Pictures To Exe

• Please log in to reply

aude.scire

aude.scire

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Someone sent me a file a few days ago with a picture in it that was supposed to be a "screen saver". What it really does is open this picture when my computer starts up. I did some research and figured out that a program called Pictures to Exe was used to create a stand alone exe, which I now have. However, I can't find it in my system because I don't know the name of it... It gives me a name, but I've searched this several times, even checking in hidden files and folders with no luck. Also each time I restart, I get a message saying that my firewall has blocked '3.2.00' from reaching the internet. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
did you try in the control panel under add/remove programs - it's bound to be there?

click start - control panel - add/remove programs
you can get rid of it from there

if you want to keep it:
it could also be a temporary files download that automatically saved to your temp folder; click start - my computer - local disk (most likely C:/) - documents and settings - your account (admin/name) - local settings

now it could be either in "temp" or "temporary internet files" folder - look trhough both of them and create a desktop shortcut to use it

aude.scire

aude.scire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I checked Add/Remove Programs, there's nothing remotely like it to be found! Also, I went through and deleted everything from Temp and Temporary Internet Files while in safe mode, and it's still coming back! I would love to get rid of it, it annoys me a lot.

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
alrighty this one is a strange one

did you try running Ad-Aware or Microsoft Anti-Spyware - they can directly diasble running processes in the backround that you can't see

to download - check the malware forum introduction - it's the "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please START HERE." at the top of the page

let me know how your searches turn out

aude.scire

aude.scire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, the first thing I tried originally was running Ad-Aware, but it didn't find it. I finally got rid of the problem, however! It turns out that it was some trojan that had put a LOT of random .exe's on my computer, and I think I've gotten rid of all of them. It took several trips into safe mode to get rid of everything, but the annoying screen hasn't come back, and I haven't seen any odd programs running. Thanks for your help!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum in and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.