Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bought Japanese Windows XP, now I'm tired of it

• Please log in to reply

kosoku

kosoku

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I first bought WinXP when I was in Japan. Japanese was the language I was using every day, so it made sense at the time. I had heard you could change the user interface (help files, menus, etc. ) in XP from one language to another anyways.
Well, that was only partially true. Apparently it is possible to do so only in XP Pro corporate licensed versions with an additional program installed.
I have XP Home SP2, and would like to change the user interface and menus and such to English. What are my options?
I would like to avoid purchasing XP again. I wonder if I used a friend's English XP CD to reinstall XP, if I could use the license code from my Japanese version? Technically that is legal right? If not it should be. :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
When you bye software you bye the Code and the disk. So if you use your code it should be legal and should work.