Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer is slow.

• Please log in to reply

eleven07

eleven07

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought my Dell Notebook a few months ago, and completely unsurprisingly, its slowing down.

The Harddrive is 40 (about 35 actually) Gig, about 5/6 used up,

I think its 100mb (ram??)

The fan seems to be running on hig alot, which i take to mean that the processor is getting overworked. Will this cause my computer to deteriorate?

Alot of stuff is usually running simultaneusly:
In the tray, i see the icons for the basic McAfee Firewall-security stuff, Wireless Connection stuff, The volume thing, and the touchpad thing, as well as a p2p program, in use. (Use it to transfer files that i own, for the record.) The p2p uses a considerable 127,000K of memory

When i do a ctrl+alt+del, i get a list under Processes of about 50 different processes, half of them under my name and healf under SYSTEM, and most of which i dont understand what they are.

I run McAfee Virus and Adaware pro with Adwatch frequently, so i think its just my computer.

I just did a Defrag.

----

Basically, what im asking, is what can i do to get my computer back to normal speed? What is the general reason computers slow down? Is it some kind of deterioration? I feel that my processor is being overworked. Will this deteriorate it?
If it does 'burn out' would it be covered under a 'hardware' warranty?

Im going to get a 'accidental damages' warranty soon. <_<

Advertisements

Geek3point0

Geek3point0

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Steps to make your computer run better.

Start>Programs>accessories>systemtools>disk clean up

Delete temp files cache internetfiles ect..

Run A Spyware Scanner and make sure you have no spyware

impropper shutdown makes your computers do funnythings

go to start>run>type:cmd>click:ok
at prompt type chkdsk /f it will ask to schedule on reboot click yes then reboot

Chexee

Chexee

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Are you sure thats the amount of RAM you have? oO; Its sort of a strange number for RAM, which usualy comes in increments of 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB.

System processes are processes that the computer itself is running, rather than what you, the user is running. Most of these processes are mandatory and I wouldn't reccomend trying to stop them, but last time I tried, xP doesn't let you anyway.

Try closing your p2p program when youre not using it ... it really isn't necessary to keep open all the time.

eleven07

eleven07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My bad, i think its 256Mb. where can i find out?

I delete my temp files all the time, by searching '*.tmp'

Adaware (Spyware scanner) run.

And i dont think i CAN shut this down improperly. Theres no operating powerbutton, only one that puts it into suspend mode.

Actually, i havent been able to shut down at all, recently. It does the dialog and the grey screen thing, but then nothing happens, and it as if it forgot what i just told it.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.