Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reset system to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

zeerp

zeerp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My parents have a Pentium II, Windows 98 Dell that they are looking to donate. We are looking for a way to get rid of all of their personal folders and programs that they have on the hard drive before doing so. To the best of my knowledge, I would think that restoring the desktop to factory settings would be the easiest way to do that. (If I am wrong, let me know.)

So I would like to know a fairly simple way to restore the computer to its original state.
Important things to consider:

1. They do not have the boot discs that came with the computer when they bought it.

2. They are old, therefore the simplest way to do this would be extremely important. I am looking for a one or two step process, rather than one that takes ten steps and 2 hours to complete.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

PS I did a quick search on this topic but didn't see anything along these lines (a simple restore). Sorry if I missed it.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First off, without the Restore/Recovery cd's that came with the system, a return to original factory condition is out of the question unless they decide to buy another set from Dell..

The best you can hope for now is using a Win98SE or WinME boot floppy and doing an fdisk to wipe out and partition the hard-drive and then a format to prepare the system for an operating system to be installed..

Murray