Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sony Vaio PCG-GR390

• Please log in to reply

frankb3

frankb3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GR390 laptop. I upgraded to Windows XP pro and since then my internal modem has never worked. I've tried installing many different drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the device all to no avail.

I have found what *seems* to be a good driver, but I get a blue screen crash when I try to install the device and use that driver.

The internal modem is Conexant-Ambit® SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem.

BTW, I just learned about your site from a friend. I did the whole spyware thing that you laid out (I was totally clean). Great stuff.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The best place to get the driver from will be Sonys website. If you can get that one & install it and the modem still doesn't work, then the problem is probably with XP itself.

XP is rather flakey when it comes to software modems and the fact that you did an upgrade to XP Pro rather than a clean install may not be helping either.

Try obtaining the driver from Sony & using that first. If it still doesn't work after that, then we can look at other causes & solutions

frankb3

frankb3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I've tried this several times. The driver is available on the Sony eSupport site, but I get a message saying "unable to find hardware device, please restart computer". The driver they provide is:

Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data/Fax Modem Driver for Microsoft Windows XP & 2000 Version 3.05.22 & 2.14.18

I've tried this in two ways. Windows does not recognize the modem as a plug and play device. So I've tried installing the driver with no device, and also after manually instaling a generic 56k modem. The driver s/w is an "exe" file so I can't update the driver by pointing to the "inf" file in a folder that I've decompressed the files into. In any case, as it doesn't seem to recognize the right modem, I don't think this would work anyway.

I have also tried installing a bunch of other potential drivers i've found, but they all give me blue screen errors.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Two things occur to me having read your last post as possible causes of your problem...
1. Your modem is bust
OR
2. The number of driver installs etc you have already attempted have confused XP to the point of no return on the modem front

Have you this doing this :
Boot up in safe mode & remove any entries for the modem in device manager etc. Uninstall any software placed in system by the drivers.
Reboot the machine & see if windows now detects the presence of the modem. If so, run the sony driver at this point

If windows doesn't detect it, run the sony driver anyway. If it still doesn't find the modem, install the generic driver as you did before. I know the sony driver is an .exe file only, but it should extract the inf file during install & place it in the \inf\ folder inside windows. If so, you might then be able to update the generic driver to the sony one by pointing it at the correct inf file.

Is your modem built into the laptop or is it pcmcia?

kerguelen

kerguelen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a similar problem with my PCG-R505TSK. Modem was working in January, now it's not even detected by XP. I took the thing into the southern hemisphere and around the planet in the spring, maybe that did it?

I tried going back to the original "system restore" Win2k on the Sony CDs that came with the PC. Still nothing. Reformatted the HD and installed a clean copy of XP from CD, still nothing. So I'm assuming that there's a hardware problem.

I partially disassembled the laptop and found the Ambit board, but I couldn't pull enough plastic "stuff" off the machine to get full access to the board. My plan is to remove it, put the machine back together and boot it up to see what happens, then put the board back in and try it again. Anyone know where I can get disassembly instructions for this thing?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G Kerquelen

The first thing I am going to ask you to do, is to start a new thread (topic) please. Create a new thread then simply paste the contents of your post into it. We get very confused when we have to deal with more than one member in a single thread!

I will say quickly though, do NOT attempt to remove the modem from the laptop.