Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation question

• Please log in to reply

Fuegeaux

Fuegeaux

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Windows recently stopped working on me. I got the \windows\system32\config\system is corrupted or does not exist problem. I have exhausted pretty much every option that I have read on this forum and others. I tried to do a repair install and wound up doing a new install b/c there was no old installation to repair that was found. The intall copied files into the installation folder and then the comp reset. I started it up and realized that it was doing a fresh install and I turned the comp off and haven't touched it since. What I would like to know is if Windows has formatted my hard drive yet? There are some files that I am trying to get off of there before it gets formatted. I bought a new hard drive today which I am going to load Windows XP Pro on and then set my old HD as the slave and see if that works. If not, I guess I will have to continue the fresh install and use a data recovery/restore program. I currently have Restorer2000 Pro. I think this will recover data from my sick HD even if it has been reformatted by the fresh intall of XP. Am I mistaken? Also, what other programs might be better at this? Thanks

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Try this MS article. (link)

Fuegeaux

Fuegeaux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, but for some reason, I don't have access to my c: drive therefore making the options presented in that link null and void. Any other ideas?