Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I wish to transfer some RAM from one computer to another.
The computer it is coming from (C1) was Windows 98
The computer it is going to (C2) has Windows XP SP1 with Longhorn Transformation Pack 10.5.
Can I just push it into the slot and carry on as normal or will I have to clean it somehow.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The OS isn't relevant here. What matters is whether both motherboards use the same type of RAM. In other words, whether the ram is DDR, PC133, Rimms etc. If one system is significantly older than the other, there may also be an issue regarding the maximum size of ram the older system can recognise one a single module etc

The best thing to do if possible, is download & run everest or aida32 on both systems. This will tell you the motherboard make/model & also the type & size of ram currently being used in that system.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
1. Where can I get aida32?
2.The computer I am taking the RAM from does not work so can't install any programs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will probably be writen on a sticker on the old module what it is, if it is older ram though you probably dont want to slow the newer computer down with old stuff even if it is compatible. For the price of a gig of ram nowadays 40 pounds for a new ddr 3200 module isnt worth the hassle.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Thanx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You can download aida32 & everest from :
http://www.majorgeek...downloads9.html

Run it on the working machine, at least then we will know what memory that system requires. After that, its just a case of determining whether the ram from the old machine matches it. As Warriorscot said, there may be a sticker (if you're lucky) on the ram module which will give you this info. But if not, theres other ways of determining the type.

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok the RAM fits and has been updated succesfully and my RAM has increased thankyou all.