Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help in formatting

• Please log in to reply

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi,
I have a Compaque computer, I am trying to remove my xp. I keep getting: cannot lock the drive the volume is still in use.
How can I remove this to wipe out my computer.

I am having too much trouble with it and just want to start over, I am not saving anything.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U cant format WinXp from inside WinXP itself.
Use the WinXP boot CD.
Or if u have multiple Operating Systems, U can format WinXP from another OS.

Edited by darth_ash, 25 July 2005 - 03:09 AM.

HateComputers

HateComputers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: I am having the same problem. The XP boot cd does not work. When I select option D (to delete the select partition) I get the following message "Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation."

What else can I do besides take a hammer to the darn thing?

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hi,
have you tried to repair your system instead of format?
I actually repaired mine, didn't work, but was advised not to reformat.

HateComputers

HateComputers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Was really wanting to start totally fresh. But am trying to repair now and then will try to format again.

So is yours working?

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Not yet, but mine dials up just won't go to web sites, so they are helping me do other things first.
If you are having trouble with something did you check to see if it is a malware issue?

HateComputers

HateComputers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
How do I check if it's a Malware issue?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

HateComputers

HateComputers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Downloaded Malware and came out clean. What else can I do?

computer_idiot

computer_idiot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Post exactly what the problem is and what system and computer you have, maybe Kat can help you.
Good Luck

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Downloaded Malware and came out clean.  What else can I do?

View Post

You downloaded "Malware"??? Do you mean you downloaded, installed and ran Ewido as instructed? Or did you download HijackThis? If you have HijackThis, please do NOT use it to remove anything. Most of what HijackThis lists is ESSENTIAL to your system, even though it may have "weird" sounding names. It would be best if you start a thread of your own in the MALWARE REMOVAL section of the boards and include a full copy of your HijackThis log. That is the ONLY way we can be sure this is not a Malware-related issue. :tazz: