Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB 2.0 Problems

• Please log in to reply

nivlek

nivlek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, here are some of the stuff that's on my compter:
-Intel P4 3.2 GHz Processor
-Windows XP Professional with SP2
-Asus P4P800 Deluxe Motherboard

Connected to these USB items:
-Apple iPod Mini MP3 Player
-HP 1350 All-in-One Printer-Scanner-Copier
-Logitech MX510 Mouse
-SanDisk ImageMate 5-in-1 Card Reader

The problem is that I have four USB ports on the back of my computer and they're all USB 1.1. How do I upgrade them to USB 2.0? They don't show up as Enhanced on Device Manager.

I never knew how to use USB 2.0 and on the motherboard specs, it shows that the motherboard is USB 2.0 and everything. I've always wondered why my speeds were so slow. Today, I went into my BIOS with boredom, and found that my USB settings were set to FullSpeed, and not HiSpeed. It said that FullSpeed was 12 mb/sec and that HiSpeed is 480 mb/sec, so I quickly changed it to HiSpeed and restarted my computer. I didn't notice a difference in speeds. This was also today, which is longer after I installed all my USB programs, and operating system, and SP2.

After changing, coming back onto Windows, I get the message that a lot of people also reported receiving. Something about being able to achieve faster speed by using a HI-SPEED device and that speeds will be reduced because it's not a HI-SPEED device, blah blah blah.

So, my question is, how can I upgrade everything to USB 2.0? Was there something I did wrong along the way? I really want to use the USB 2.0 function of my system and increase my speeds. How would I be able to do this? I've read about things with SP1, but don't know what to do since my computer system is SP2 now. Are there any fixes for this? Please help me out. Thanks a lot for your time and replies.

Edited by nivlek, 25 July 2005 - 04:13 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I'm afraid you cannot upgrade a USBv1.1 device to a USBV2.0 device. If a device was designed to only work with v1.1, as opposed to working with both versions, then theres nothing you can do about it other than replace it.

I don't think this is relevant in your case, as you haven't mentioned that you have any USB hubs but...
Be aware that if you have USBv2.0 ports & V2.0 devices, if you connect them via a USB v1.1 hub, they will run at 12MB. In other words, if you use a hub at all, make sure its also V2.0. I would also recommend that you only use a self-powered hub as well.

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've fought some USB 2.0 battles of my own too.

Your motherboard (as listed on Asus homepage) supports up to 8 USB 2.0 ports. They're not only USB 1.1, but they are compatible with USB 1.1 (as are all USB 2.0 ports).

It sounds good that you found the setting in the BIOS setup that controls the speed of the USB ports. My recommendation is to remove each of your USB hubs/controllers in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Now, one problem with this is that your keyboard and/or mouse may be USB in which case they will cease to function (so re-booting can be a problem, especially if your mouse is killed and you have a couple of more hubs/controllers to remove). But, the good news is, Windows will re-install each of the ports and it should find the Enhanced driver for your hi-speed ports since you are running SP/2.

Please let me know if you have success with this.

One thing in the future you may want to investigate is how much power is being drawn through the USB ports on the back of your computer. A powered USB hub can sometimes help solve issues if the USB devices are drawing more than the motherboard can provide.