Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD

• Please log in to reply

onion_fusion

onion_fusion

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I own 2 hdds.And 1 jumper pins.When trying to
partition my new 80gig hdd, it kept picking it
up as 30 gig.I was trying to find the correct
jumper pin port,and by mistake i set my empty
hdd to master,and my average booting hdd to
slave.Now, when I turn on my PC the
screen does not turn on.do i need 2 jumper pins?.
Pleez help Me...
My email adress is [email protected]

Edited by onion_fusion, 25 July 2005 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
well, usually any new harddrive will come with a jumper pin, so you should have two. But basically all you have to do now is set the original disk back to master and the new one to slave. The jumper settings for each drive should be printed on the drive itself and in the documentation that came with the HDD.

--Chris

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Cheathawk1 is right, although I'm guessing you can't remember where the jumpers originally went, otherwise you would have tried this, right?

As for the 30GB problem, I suspect this is due to one of two things:
1. Its possible your new drive has a 32GB clip, which limits the size of the drive that the system can see. This clip, if it exists, will be enabled by a jumper being placed over the two relevant pins on the rear of the drive.
OR
2. You tried to create a FAT32 partition instead of a NTFS one. This is fine but XP cannot create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB

If don't know how to re-jumper the drives correctly, let me know what the make & model is of each drive is & I will tell you how to do it. You can find the make/model info written on top of the drive itself. You may actually find the jumper configuration listed there as well, in which case, just follow that.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did your new drive come with instructions and software? If not, go to the drive makers website, www.maxtor.com or www.seagate.com, etc., and download the software and instructions for it's installation. You may need to use another computer to do it. In the meantime set your original drive as master and put it in without the other drive and see if your can't get the computer working again. Then install the software on it and carefully follow the instructions for installing drives in older machines with Award Bios 4.51.