Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

120GB Hard Drive seems weird , in Dos it formats a

• Please log in to reply

s8n

s8n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi team......i have a brand new 120GB Hard Drive and it seems weird.....my Motherboard bios identifies it as 120GB , FDisk recognizes it as 120GB Fat32 Partiton and Windows 98 recogizes it as 120GB, but when format it in Dos it formats as 46GB

also i was wondering if a External USB 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure Box would help....or i heard a Maxtor Ultra-ATA 133 PCI adapter might help ?

any help is sweet

s8n

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I assume you are using the version of fdisk that comes with win98, right?
If so, that version has problems with drives larger than 64GB. The resulting drive size will be the actual size of your drive (120GB) minus the 64GB limit. ie. approx 50GB, allowing for differences in drive translation etc

There are a couple of ways round this problem :

1. download & use the newer version of fdisk which can handle drives larger than 64GB. This available here :
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=263044

2. Go to the drive manufacturers website & download their own utility for setting up & partitioning the drive.

Personally, I would try the first option. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, then try the second option

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no i have a FDisk for large hard drives Version.....it reads it and partitions it ok........but problem is i cant copy/paste files that are larger than 2gig+ , to and from the drive (the 120GB drive).......so i guess its not functioning right

my Motherboard is GigaByte 8IEX dated 06/21/2002 i heard by 2 people it my be too old........i read on 2 sites a Maxtor Ultra-ATA 133 PCI adapter will get it working as it is a new host adapter..... i need more confirmed reports tho before i buy a ATA 133 PCI adapter.

s8n

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

As you probably know FAT32 supports files up to 4GB in size, so 2GB shouldn't be a problem.
When you attempt to copy a file thats 2GB+ in size, does windows just refuse to do it at all & gives you an error message, or does it attempt it but simply fall over part the way through?

Have tried creating a 2GB-4GB file from scratch on the drive? If so, can you do that sucessfully?

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
straight away the error msg comes up in Win98SE ...not half way through the transfer or anything.........the error is everytime "Cannot create or replace copy of Gen-CFJPAL : The parameter is incorrect "........i get this same msg with other file types too...(files over 2G+)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, out of interest, what types of files are they?

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
.ISO , .BIN , .BIN (dummy file) ....

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, think i know what the problem is.
win98/98se comes with a version of the shell32.dll file that interprets values (file size) as negative numbers - hence the incorrect parameter error.

Out of interest, what version of IE are you using? You may find updating IE to version 5.5 or 6 resolves the problem.

Otherwise, you should be able to copy the files using the COPY command in command prompt.

s8n

s8n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i am currently on the hunt for an app that updates the Shell32.dll either directly or through installing an app.....i did try IE 6 , but no go

i ran the question in another forum and got a very very similar answer to yours....(shell32.dll) very impressive.

thank you very much for your help.......it is very much appreciated

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome & good luck