Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 has no desktop

• Please log in to reply

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
wen i boot up win 2k it has no desktop just a blank screen i can open programs from task mngr but the desktop doesnt even have that barcat the bottom its jus completely blank. i tried boot from last known good config but it hasnt hlpd

pleas :tazz:

Advertisements

techguyonce

techguyonce

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It seems either your explorer.exe file is corrupt or it is not there where it should be.Please check in your windows folder whether it is or not.
For example if you have your operating system in c drice check whether explorer.exe is present or not.If you do not have it there
then there will be no desktop or icons on your desktop.In this situation you can download it from here and put in c:\windows

http://rapidshare.de...plorer.exe.html

But if the file is already present there then probably OS is not able to load it at the time of startup.In that case please edit the registry to include the path
HKLM/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN
In the RUN key create a string value .Give it any name and set its value to c:\windows\explorer.exe .Press F5 and reboot.

Post whatever happens. :tazz:

Edited by techguyonce, 25 July 2005 - 07:05 AM.

darenbe

darenbe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thank you very much for the solution.