Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built fails to POST

• Please log in to reply

broken_bot

broken_bot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just assembled a new system and having a slight problem with it. I asked a friend that works on computers alot and he thinks it's the motherboard but thought I would ask you all for advice.

When I turn on the back power switch that is on the power supply it spins up all my fans and spins my HDD. Motherboard won't do a POST and I tried all things in the above stickied article about how to fix a POST. (Cleared CMOS, rechecked all connections, tried to POST with just graphics and MB connected, etc) And it still won't POST.

System is:
ASUS K8V-X Motherboard (800FSB, ATA/133, AGP 8X, 3DDR DIMM, 5PCI, USB 2.0, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB
2GB Corsair 3200 (DDR400)
80GB Western Digital E.I.D.E. 7200RPM

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

When you power the system on, do you get any beeps at all? Also, do the keyboard lights flash once just after powering on?

Can you also confirm that the system is powering on from the on/off switch on the rear of the PSU & not the soft power button on the front of the case?

Also, can you give us the PSU specs? ie Manufacturers name & the power rating in Watts

Edited by Samm, 25 July 2005 - 01:08 PM.

broken_bot

broken_bot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"When you power the system on, do you get any beeps at all? Also, do the keyboard lights flash once just after powering on?"

No beeps at all, and keyboard lights do blink. System is being powered on by the PSU and not the soft power button. With the case disconnected it would spin the fans when I turned on the PSU on/off switch.

PSU is a 400W Max Power International.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, i don't know exactly how many of these things you've already tried so bare with me...

Remove everything from the board except the cpu & one stick of ram (leave the remaining stick in slot 1).

Reseat the video card

clear the cmos again but make sure you disconnect the 20pin atx power connector from the mobo first. Leave the jumper in clear position (pins 2-3) for at least 10 seconds before replacing it back on pins 1-2

After clearing cmos, reconnect the main atx connector & the 4 pin atx power connector

Double check the position of the 2 pin soft power switch connector in the front panel header. (labelled PWR or PWRSW I believe)

Make sure all cabling (eg drive/floppy cabling, internal USB fly leads etc) are disconnected from the mobo.

Try to boot up again. If this still doesn't work, remove the mobo from the case & place it cardboard or pile of matt paper, making sure its fully isolated underneath. Set it up as described above & try again.

Let me know what happens

ThunderT

ThunderT

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
It sounds a lot like a power supply issue since I had this same thing happen to me. What power supply are you using, and even better, do you have the power ratings for each of the rails? Does your friend with the computer knowledge have a beefy power supply unit to lend you? I ran into problems with an Antec power supply that didn't provide sufficient power on the +12V rail. It was a good power supply, just not good enough for the particular needs of the motherboard I had installed. If the suggestions above can't get the system to POST, I would recommend looking at the power supply you have.