Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

too much ram?

• Please log in to reply

gritbox

gritbox

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
is it possibly to have too much ram? ive currently got 512 pc2700 ddr and ive ordered 2x512 pc 3200 to beef it up. could this actualy put a strain on my pc? ive got a dell 4600 p3.2ghz intel 4. cheers

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Absolutly not, in fafct the more RAM the better! What I woudl reccommend however, is that you only put in one type of RAM. (ie only PC2700 OR PC3200. Some computers dont have a problem running both at the same time, but ususally when you try to run two different speeds at once, you end up with some problems (or the PC3200 will automatically slow down to match the PC2700). But since you already ordered it, you might as well try it, if it works, then congradulations, if it doesn't try using one type only.

--Chris

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
hi. its ok i know, dell told me its ok to match the 2 kinds. cheers anyway. i guess next to upgrade is my 256 gforce card then eh!? will new games like fear run ok on that card, no?

ewanog

ewanog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

is it possibly to have too much ram? ive currently got 512 pc2700 ddr and ive ordered 2x512 pc 3200 to beef it up. could this actualy put a strain on my pc? ive got a dell 4600 p3.2ghz intel 4. cheers

View Post

well there is a limit to how much RAM you can have, b/c you can only have a certain amount on different types of computers. I have 512 MB hooked up to my old dell but it only reads 384 MB or something

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
A Dell Dimention 4600 can have a max memory of 4 gig so you will be ok but as cheathawk1 said the pc 3200 will slow down to pc 2700 speed. The benifit of the extra ram though is still worth it because you have been running 2700 all along.

Rick

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
thanks. plus the fact when i get a gig mor ei will take out the 2700 and replace with more 3200, so makes sense buying 3200 now!

cheers

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You will get better preformance if you ditch the pc2700 entirley.

gritbox

gritbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
so 1 gig of 3200 is better than 1 gig of 3200 and 0.5 gb of 2700!?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Usually although check the timings on the 2700 stuff if they are as low as the new stuff when running at the slower speed then stick it in as games love the sharp timings.

Although this would be an interesting experiment for you try it both ways and benchmark the pc each time see whats better try playing a couple of games nothinf beats good visual interpretation of performance.