Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet is running very slow...

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I'm having alot of trouble using my browser this morning (Firefox). Pages are taking forever to load, (minutes +) and I'm getting connection refused error boxes out the ying yang. Some sites eem to work, while others don't. I have no problems browsing here, but I had alot of trouble getting into hotmail, ebay, paypal, newegg, and antec's site (just a list of some I tried.

I have a Cable connection (Roadrunner) I just did a speed test:

Your line speed:

37431.2 Kbps

4587.2 K bytes/sec

That all looks good.

I'm running the full version of Spysweeper, Ad-aware SE, and Norton Internet Security.

I did an Adware scan nothing out of the usual, no Spyware was found with Spysweeper, and I'm doing an Antivirus scan currently with no luck.

Any idea what is causing this?

Advertisements

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi Metalive! It seems this issue is growing in frequency based on posts to this board, others, and some of my clients. I'm just starting to research this, but I must apologize, I haven't got very far yet. Here is a google search that seemed to yield some promising hits that may help you out. Sorry I don't have more as of yet...

Google

Best of luck!
Be well, SD

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Interesting... I wasn't aware this was becoming a widespread problem.

Do you think it's anything serious? Or just net code problems and such.

Good luck with your research!

EDIT: I also cannot log in to Xfire it pauses on "connecting to the server"

Though AIM works...

EDIT EDIT (lol): I can log into Xfire now... this is a little strange.

Edited by Metalive, 25 July 2005 - 10:08 AM.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Interesting... I wasn't aware this was becoming a widespread problem.
Do you think it's anything serious? Or just net code problems and such.

I didn't either, and generally the fault could be traced to routing issues with the ISP or their upstream provider and/or crapware. I think what we are seeing is a bit of an illusion, but that's a guess. I'm thinking the combination of routers, connection types, incorrect settings on machines, various firewall products, and of course the crapware family all put together gives the appearance of a growing trend when in fact the only "growing portion" comes from machine infections.

ttysoon, SD

Edit: I just noticed your edit about X-fire....for any other sites that are down for you, can you traceroute to them?

Edited by SoccerDad, 25 July 2005 - 10:24 AM.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have no idea what tracerouting is.

SoccerDad

SoccerDad

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Traceroute uses a series of ICMP packets to verify the routing path between hosts on a network/Internet. Using XP, open a command prompt and type (no brackets):

tracert <host_name_or_ip_here>

This will show you the path. Some spots may timeout (you will see *). Don't worry about them as many routers will ignore these packets (especially if they are busy; ICMP is considered low priority. Additionally, some routers are configured to drop these packets). Ultimately, you should get a response from the host you are trying to reach. Something else to note: tracert by default will do a DNS lookup on the hosts as it goes along. This can slow things down. Use the -d option to disable lookups:

tracert -d <host_name_or_ip_here>

Hope this helps!
cya, SD