Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error codes

• Please log in to reply

jellosmum

jellosmum

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my brand new dell started acting up last night. First, comcast cable keeps becoming unresponsive around the same time frame each night and then is up again around the same time frame in the am. Now, when I try to virus scan w/Norton it wont let me and gives me the message: scanner module error
0xc0000005. I went to Norton had my version checked and it seems to be ok, so it must be problem with windows. I have updated and virus scanned and kept the firewall up. My son did download and use limewire, Iv scanned since he downloaded it and its negative. Maybe I should just restore factory settings?? Also, I have checked the Norton settings for use with cable modem. One more thing, Aim quit working as well only for one user of the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I will virus scan online at microsoft.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

jellosmum

jellosmum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The cable modem "time out" problem is still there, waiting for them to come out. Worked on the computer last night, seems that when trying to IM, Aim crashes, this was due to Earthlink total access, had to update that and it fixed the aim problem. I downloaded the virus scan tool at Microsoft.com and was finally able to virus scan; it found nothing. That download apparently enabled my norton to work again, did a full scan and found nothing. The only problem now is Comcast cable modem timing me out, is it possible for a modem to be bad and work only part time?? Seems that if its bad it wouldnt work at all. I prefer DSL but its not available yet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
anything's possible when you have bad hardware...or software....it could be anything from the modem to the line connecting to your house....if it's old it wont work so well with the info that's coming over the wire...if your town didn't upgrade their cable structure before offering cable internet access...it could cause problems...i had problems with my digital cable (same principle) in my apartment because water was getting into the box where all the cable drops were located.

jellosmum

jellosmum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks be to google, after researching I checked the configure under LAN, the turn this device (modem) off to save power was checked, I unchecked it, so we shall see what happens. thanks.