Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service pack 2 and NIS

• Please log in to reply

T0FU

T0FU

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Please help...
Just recently I cleaned out my hard drive and reinstalled everything (I had problems installing service pack 2 and nothing else seemed to help).
Finally, I got service pack 2 to work, but now after running live update for Norton Internet Security and then restarting windows, the computer wants to load up in safe mode.
My question: Is my problem with the two conflicting firewalls (Windows XP and NIS) or is it something else...please help

thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I noticed you asked the same question in another thread.. It was much smarter starting your own thread!! :tazz:

Are you sure it is starting in Safe Mode (does it say Safe Mode in all four corners) ??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 25 July 2005 - 11:35 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Having the Windows Firewall enabled as well as Norton Firewall should not cause any problem, but in any case you should turn off the Windows Firewall if you are running a separate one - Norton's is much better so you don't need them both - on my PC web pages load much slower with two firewalls running -- but I don't use Norton or SP2. I suggest you uninstall NIS and re-install it to resolve your safe-mode problem, especially if Norton was installed before SP2. It should be done the other way round.

T0FU

T0FU

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Murray and pip22 for responding so quickly...

I had installed NIS after I loaded service pck 2.
After insatlling NIS I ran auto update.
After update a message pops up that says I need to restart my computer in order for some of the updates to work.
Once I restart a message pops up stating that windows is not able to open, then an option screen comes up syaing that I can open windows in safe mode to fix any problems...

I am very greatful for your help, currently I am at work but when I get home I will post the exact message windows gives me...hopefully that will provide you with more info.

thanks