Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Setting Page file help..

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I have a question what should the MIn and mac be for the page file if you have 768 MB installed of RAM.. I set it to System Managed Size and its set at 778 MB .. but hwo much should the min and max be set at? And how much should the page file min and max be set at for a system that has 256 mb ram installed? Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This

How big should the page file be?
There is a great deal of myth surrounding this question. Two big fallacies are:

The file should be a fixed size so that it does not get fragmented, with minimum and maximum set the same
The file should be 2.5 times the size of RAM (or some other multiple)

is part of this article

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I have 768 Mb of Ram on this computer and and i have the min and max set at 768 lol.. hmm i dont know if they should be set to that.. and I read if you have more than 512 mb of RAM the page file size should be decreased.. And hmm what should it be set at on a system with 256 mb of RAM

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
According to the article

EXAMPLE: Set the Initial page file size to 400 MB on a computer with 128 MB RAM; 250 on a 256 MB computer; or 100 MB for larger sizes.

But have a high Maximum size — 700 or 800 MB or even more if there is plenty of disk space. Having this high will do no harm. Then if you find the actual pagefile.sys gets larger (as seen in Explorer), adjust the initial size up accordingly. Such a need for more than a minimal initial page file is the best indicator of benefit from adding RAM: if an initial size set, for a trial, at 50MB never grows, then more RAM will do nothing for the machine's performance.

I have XP Pro with 2GB Ram which runs fine on the recommended setting but an XP Home with 1 GB Ram which prefers system mangaged

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Well I guess on this computer with 768 MB of RAM.. i'll set it to system managed ... and for the laptop i was working on with 256 mb of RAM ill set at system managed.. ehh?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System managed should be fine as it should adjust to suit

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Thanks a lot man..

There's so much stuff to deal with for hardware to operating system deal lol.