Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Networking Issues with Windows XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

maanders378

maanders378

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi All,

I am looking for anyone out there who can help with some ongoing issues I am having related to SP2 installation. Here is what happened...

I installed SP2 and following installation got the blue screen of death and the following error message "Stop: c000135 winsrv was not found". To fix this, I followed Microsoft's instructions
(found here: http://support.micro....com/?id=885523) to repair my system via the recovery window and uninstall SP2.

After doing this, everything seemed ok except that I was missing all of my network connection icons. Again, I turned to microsoft support and was able to fix this issue by following their instructions.
(found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826)

The one problem I encountered while going through these instructions was that the regsvr32 netshell.dll command issued an error. I thought maybe this was the issue, but do not know how to fix it. Everything else seemed to be ok, and I can now see my network icons.

Now the problem is that I can still not connect to the internet. I am directly connected to a cable modem provided by my ISP. I am 100% sure that the modem is working correctly since everything works fine when it is connected to another computer.

I have also checked the status of the network card. Windows reports that it is operating correctly. I have also checked that all my necessary services are started, and they appear to be.

So, I thought maybe an ipconfig would do the trick. I performed an ipconfig /release and saw that my IP address was set to 0.0.0.0. However, when I did a ipconfig /renew I got a DHCP error and a timeout.

I saw on another forum that the winsockxpfix application helped some people with this issue(if their registry was corrupted or TCP/IP was corrupt). I tried this utility and still see the same results described above.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am completely at a loss. Thanks in advance. :tazz:

Marie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
under your lan settings...is your ip set for static or to be configured using dhcp? how was it set before the problems?

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is set to automatically detect settings (I assume this is through the DHCP). I haven't changed this setting since before my problems began.

One other note...if I look under the Local Area Connection status in my Network Connections, I can see both sent and recieved activity. I don't know what this means in terms of troubleshooting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
can you ping anything? another computer on the network (by ip or name)? google.com? do you have any clue where your dhcp addresses are assigned from?

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I will try pinging something when I get home. That's where the PC in question is. I do not know where my DHCP address is assigned from. I am using a cable modem provided by my ISP...so I assume my ISP assigns it???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it probably does....your dhcp is probably assigned from the modem itself...while checking all that other stuff....do an ipconfig /all while youre in there

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dave,

Thanks for your help so far. Here is the information you requested. ipconfig /all results in the following:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name: maanderslt
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connect-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intregrated Controller
Physical Address: 00-0B-DB-17-9E-82
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.xxx.xxx.xx
Subnet Mask: 255.xxx.x.x
Default Gateway:

I am not able to ping a host, and there are no other computers on network to try. Pinging google.com results
in the following error message:

"Ping request could not find host. Please check the name and try again."

Any more ideas??? It looks like I am missing a DHCP server address and a DNS Server address, but I don't know how to configure these.

Thanks a bunch.

Marie

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well the biggest problem that i see is that you don't have a default gateway....and...it seems you don't have an actual ip address.

"Autoconfiguration IP Address: 169.xxx.xxx.xx
Subnet Mask: 255.xxx.x.x
"

unless i'm mistaken...this number isn't your ip address....this is just the autoconfiguration location...i could be wrong...

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes...I agree that this is the issue. My IP address should be 68.xxx.xxx.xx for my ISP. I would normally reset it using ipconfig /renew, but this command fails because it can not reach the DHCP server, because it does not have any address because I do not have a default gateway set.

So, the question is...does anyone out there know how to fix/set/reset your default gateway??? I have no clue (now that I think the problem is identified) how to actually fix it!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried reseting the cable modem (why i didn't suggest this first i dont know)?

usually you can do this by unplugging it and holding the power button (if ther is one) for about 5 seconds then plugging it back in

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep...I have tried that, and it didn't help anything. I think I am going to try reinstalling my network card drivers when I get home.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that was going to be my next step

maanders378

maanders378

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cool...we are on the same page then. I'll let you know what happens.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
[edit]

Edited by dsenette, 16 August 2005 - 12:54 PM.

hoganberry

hoganberry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
wow I know above is an old post....but did this get resolved? I have the exact same issue I am trying to resolve now.
Cheers if you can help.

Sharron