Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tracking Software? Watching at work?

• Please log in to reply

etmx5313

etmx5313

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a question!!! Today I was pulled into my manager's office and accused of surfing the web at night! The only site that I access is wunderground.com which is the weather. It brings a TON of popups with it. I tried explaining that and I was told (by someone who is not computer knowledgeable) that, "No, these are actual sites being pulled up." Home mortgage rates, theme park tickets, etc. I have NOT accessed these!! I am not sure if they have a tracer or whatever it is to log the sites but would that be on there as being accessed when it was only a popup? They are telling me it is only on the nights that I work! Please help me defend this!! Would the popups do this??

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...depending on how they are looking up your internet usage...the pop ups would show up as if you were looking at those sites....if they are using a logger or any kind of professional forensic tools...then they should be smart enough to notice that the access time on these other sites is miniscule....so even if y ou were going to them on purpose...if they are open for less than a minute..then they are irrellevant....find out how they tracked you if you can (they sounds stupid enough to answer that question)

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
That's what I thought. I always go into control panel>internet>and delete files and history-is that enough? Like I said-I am just paranoid and so I try to erase everything. I'm a nurse--like I have time to look up freakin home mortgage rates-on the internet no less!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the company is using tracking software your history is irrelevant...in fact....they can probably see when you delete the history....which would definitly raise suspicion (i used to work in a hospital as a CNA and i know from experience that all they need is suspicion to can you)

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
It is very much possible that you are being linked to the "surfing". Some infections operate from the system folders and some from the user's directories.

The reason could be that only your personal login account on the PC may be infected !!! In which case, it is only when you log into the PC that the infections become active. Since others wont have access your directories, these infections may be dormant otherwise.

In any case, such pop-ups indicate that the PC is infected and needs to be cleaned up !!!!!

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Is there anyway to see if they are using tracking software? How else would they see any sites accessed? I just want to be able to say, hey I talked with someone who is knowledgeable about computers AND-----like I told you before----these are pop-ups that are showing up!!! I guess I get upset when I am accused of doing something I did not do---especially when it is someone who dosen't know what they are talking about!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
look at your system tray in the bottom right hand corner of the screen....if a little eyeball or something shows up they are watching you....more likely they are checking proxy logs

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am not logged in on the computer. You can access the internet without being logged in. I know there isn't anyone else using it, because I am the only nurse there. I would know if someone was behind the desk on the computer!

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
What are proxy logs?? I just want to know where they are looking to find this information???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a proxy server is basically a sever in-line on the connection that masks your connection from the outside and usually allows for content filtering from the inside....

Advertisements

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just want to be able to build my defense and say--Hey, this is why you are seeing that I am supposedly surfing the web----and I am not. I want to be able to give an explanation of why it would appear that I am surfing when I am not.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...tell them to check the duration of the connection...if it's less than 1 minute then even if you are surfing......it's irrelivant

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So even if the weather is left on---and the popups pile up--the duration will be less than a minute?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....if you leave the pop ups open no....but if you close them as they open then yes

etmx5313

etmx5313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
See I leave the weather up--and just check in now and then when I come back to the desk.
So.......I can tell them that popups WILL show up on tracking software, OR if they are checking the history--OR wherever they are checking----they will show up like I accessed the sites?