Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

free hosting

• Please log in to reply

beak280

beak280

• Pip
  • 9 posts
are there any ways to build and host a decent website for free?

Advertisements

beak280

beak280

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
besides geocities

haha thanks

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
build, look around for free templates or learn how to make a basic website.

host, get a free host online such as 250free, or use your comp as a server (not recommended).

Edited by ssone, 25 July 2005 - 03:54 PM.

joemofack21

joemofack21

• Pip
  • 3 posts
well i was wondering how do you make a website? some guy told me to get microsoft frontpage....is that good? i dunno i just need a website for my new CS source clan

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
Frontpage is fine. Dreamweaver same only more flash.

However If you were to get into making many clan sites (etc.) in the future I'd recommend not using either, but learning html,css,javascript,php, etc.

Ibatex

Ibatex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Also remember that all free hosts are advertising supported. Meaning your site will have ads on it either forced by the server or ones that they require you to include on all your pages.

If you want cheap but high quality, ad-free hosting, I recommend Host PC. I'd also buy the domain from them as well. About $40 a year will get you both.

Here's some specs on there budget package:

600 MB storage
10 GB Data Transfer
PHP enabled
Unlimited MySQL databases
50 branded email addresses
Perl/cgi-bin

Visit there site for more info.

As far as learning to build, I've never ever used any kind of editor that does the work for you so I can't say much about them. I'd learn to code, that's ultimately the best way in the long run.

Start off with some html, it's really not that difficult. Here's an excellent instructional site to help you in that regard: Html Dog

fsb

fsb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
www.freewebs.com

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just bought a domain and hosting service two days ago but I joined this forum like 20mins ago otherwise, I wuda got one of the ones here i'm reading about here. I got a service that has the worst customer support. Yet to get a repy to 3 emails I sent yesterday. I figured out a few things on my own by now but anyone know how to get rid of the directories that come up on the first page?! It messed with my head all day today!

Parent Directory 05-Aug-2005 12:32 -
Index.html 05-Aug-2005 12:33 1k
_private/ 03-Aug-2005 19:25 -
cgi-bin/ 03-Aug-2005 19:25 -
images/ 05-Aug-2005 05:18 -
postinfo.html 03-Aug-2005 19:25 2k

I can do core html codes and flash and a lot of work but i'm amazed as to how I couldn't figure this out!!

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
If right clicking on them and clicking "delete" with an FTP client doesnt work then they may not be deletable with the host you're using.

Most of the folders you listed are important directories to run a site...

However..

postinfo.html 03-Aug-2005 19:25 2k
Index.html 05-Aug-2005 12:33 1k
images/ 05-Aug-2005 05:18 -

..should delete no problem.

Lyte

Lyte

• Pip
  • 1 posts
www.eznuke.com is a automatic php nuke hoster for free it also has a few skins multiple domain choices and models but if you just want a host
www.funpic.org should do

Advertisements

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm not even trying to delete them, I just don't want them showing up on my main page. All the others are deletable as you said but the cgi_bin, paarent directory and private folders wont even be touched. I can't even access the private and cgi-bin files with my password and i'm supposed to be admining. And they said to name the first page index.html and I did but i still get the page the way it is!

Ibatex

Ibatex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Looks like your host allows directory browsing. I guess they're not really big on security.

Try renaming 'Index.html' to 'index.html'.

Ibatex

Ibatex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Oops, sorry, I reread your post and you already tried that.

What are the contents of the index page? Did you make the one that's there or was that one automatically included?

gilazilla

gilazilla

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just want to ask something.Why is making ur computer server not recommended?( with a appropiate protection )

Can it be done with an ordinary dial -up or DSL? i heard u at least need a T3 line or something like that?

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanx ibatex. Turns out the 'i' was the problem. All I had to do was what u said. Change "Index.html" to "index.html". One problem solved. Err, any idea why a flash movie won't play. I have it playing in Frontpage but it won't play in dreamweaver or on my page. Any idea as to why? Anyone?!