Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't power up

• Please log in to reply

jonesbert

jonesbert

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I built a Soyo K7-VME with an AMD Athlon 3000, 1GB memory, Antec SL400, GForce 5200, DVD-RW, CD-RW and a 160GB Maxtor. I loaded XP Pro with no problem. Now it won't even power up. I can see the fans twitch whin I press the switch but then nothing. I have swapped out the power supply with no change. Help!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

First thing to check is the obvious, so please don't think I'm being patronising!

1. Firstly, can you check the connections - make sure the 4 pin cpu power connector from the PSU to the motherboard, is plugged in

2. Make sure you have connected the soft power switch from the front of the case to the front panel header on the motherboard correctly.

Check these first please before we go any further.

jonesbert

jonesbert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have rechecked all of the connections with no change.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hiya

OK, before we try anything, I need to check a few details with you :

1. Am I right in thinking that mobo has an integrated video card as well as an agp slot, and that you are using an external video card (geforce 5200)?

2. Can you tell me what you have set the FSB jumper (JP3) on the mobo to?

3. What speed was the cpu running at when it was working?

4. What procedure did you follow when you installed the heatsink/fan and have you removed the heatsink from the cpu at any point at all, since you first installed it?

5. Did you notice the system shut itself down (or reboot) at random at any point when it was working?

6. Did you happen to notice what temperature the cpu was running at before?

One last thing - you said you swapped out the psu but did you also change the power lead? I just want to eliminate the possibility of a blown fuse in the plug!