Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys Wireless Sharing

• Please log in to reply

Confused User

Confused User

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know his topic has been discussed at length but I have yet to find a solution to my problem. Any help you can offer is great!

Situation:
I have a home network with 3 Win XP Sp2 computers, 2 are laptops one is a desktop. and I use Linksys WRT54G router. I have full internet/file sharing access while using a wired connection but the minute I unplug and go wireless I lose file sharing but retain internet.

I have disabled all firewalls (ZoneAlarm), rebooted all computers, tried TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. While wireless I can ping the wired computer and I can see its shares by using \\192.168... but not name resolution. Also the other machines do not show up in network places while wireless.

What do I need to do to get name resolution while wireless?

Thanks

Advertisements

jakestaby

jakestaby

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My first idea without going too far in depth would be to check the DNS settings for you browser. This may or may not work, and without going any deeper at this point (I'm about to take off) this is my idea. Give it a try and post back.

Confused User

Confused User

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The router is running DHCP and the computers are set to get their IP addresses from the router. I did ipconfig /all with the computer wired and wireless. There was nothing obvious that came out of it, the only change I noted was the IP changed from 192.168.1.102 to 192.168.1.101. Otherwise Subnet, DHCP and DNS were all the same.

doctornellie

doctornellie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Don't know if it is of any use, since it's really just a bit of a work around, rather than a fix and only gonna work if you are OK using static IP addresses for your machines......

If you search for files on your laptop called "host" - on XP you will find it in "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc"

If you open this using notepad, you can add to the example

127.0.0.1 localhost

by adding your own entries below and then saving the file (make sure it doesn't add the .txt suffix!)

you need to add them in the folowing format;-

<IP ADDRESS> <MACHINE NAME>

e.g.

192.168.1.2 desktop

Restart machine and try pinging / browsing by name - should work OK now.

Hope this is of use,

All the best,

nellie

Edited by doctornellie, 04 August 2005 - 07:59 AM.

gilsmethod

gilsmethod

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
have you run the networking wizards on both your laptops? and what firewall do you have?