Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format Second Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. So I got me new HD, and I cloned it with my old (original) one and replaced it. Now my old HD has no job, so I want to use it as a backup on the same PC. It has three partitions: System, One, and Two. I want to reset it so that it will be one big 250 Gig partition and format it to have a blank storage space. How exactly do I do it in Win XP system?

Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Control Panel>Administrative Options>Computer Options..

Click on Disk management on the left side..

Your Hdd's should show up on the right side.. Right click on each partition of the slave drive and select "Delete Partition".. When all three have been deleted, you should have 250GB of un-allocated drive..

Right click on that and select "format"..

Murray

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thanks. But I am still losing 6 gb. Is this like Drive's info part? I am attaching a file.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Did you not remove ALL partitions as I said??

Murray

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I did. It didnt let me remove the 6 gb. It even doesnt have that option. All it has is HELP when I right click.

Edited by bigdog1100, 25 July 2005 - 07:11 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
I can see that on BOTH your hard-drives.. Are you using a PCI/IDE card on your system rather than the on-board IDE connections??

Murray

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Not Sure. The second used to be a Master. So I made a clone, and now I am using it as a master. And the old one I want to make as a backup. I am not installing those, so I dont know how they are configured. ANy ideas how I can remove that 6 GB partition so that I can use it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Everyting I can find on the EISA Configuration has to do with a PCI adapter..

Do your hdd's connect to the motherboard or to a separate PCI Controller card??

Murray

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Both are connected to the Motherboard. Also, according to the help file, I have to be an admin to reset that EISA 6.01 Gig part. However, I am the only user of MY pc. I get that this may be a random message, but what if it won't let me edit boot for some reason. It was a boot or SYSTEM partition when it was used as a Master. What can I do to have my entire HD back? Is there a way to reset partitions and format it in DOS?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you get a Welcome screen when you boot into Windows??

If you do, press ctrl-alt-delete (or use the "Classic Mode).. You should get a Win2000 style logon..

In the username area, put Administrator

The password is usually blank, so just press enetr.. You are now in the System Administrators account..

Now try the EISA fix..

Murray

Advertisements

urichjones

urichjones

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
One way to delete your partitions is to use your windows CD at boot up.

Click here for a tutorial.

Follow all the steps in part 1.
In part 2 look at the first picture. That is the screen you want.
From there you can delete any partitions on your old drive. Make sure you choose the right drive as you can easily delete your installation of windows.

After deleting the partitions you don't want, set up a new one. After you setup your new partition simply restart your computer. Do not format in windows setup. After formatting windows will automatically start copying over setup files. Restart and format your old hard drive in windows.

I hope this helps,

Urich

matt_fleming

matt_fleming

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Don't use the cd unless you have to, it's messy to use. Whenever you can work in Windows I'd go ahead and do it that way.

-Matt

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Murray: It doesn't work. I am not sure if I have XP Pro or Home Edition. One application shows I have XP PRO (Direct X), and others do not. Regardless, is there a way to add Administrator so that I can see it everytime I Log Out? Or is there any other way to get Admin rights? Also, what is classic way to open that dialog box? :tazz:

Thanks.

PS In user Accounts I see my name and then in small letters it says Computer Administrator.

Edited by bigdog1100, 26 July 2005 - 10:32 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You simply have an account that has administrators rights.. That is not the System Administrators account..

Do a google or dogpile search for "add Administrator to Logon window"..

Murray

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Done. I did step 4 from the following web-site solution:

http://pcsupport.abo...qt/addadmin.htm

I started PC in Administrator mode. It didn't let me enter without entering any password. So I did. When I go to Disk Management, I still connot see anything but "Help" when I click on that 6 GB partition. So, Administrator doesn't provide soluiton either. What else I can do to format my Harddrive as one big partition? Please help. Thank you.