Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade processor

• Please log in to reply

mmpsm2

mmpsm2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a 5 year old Dell which has a Pentium 2 processor and I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it to a Pentium 3 if it also came from a Dell system? If so how will I know what to look for to be sure it is compatible? I just purchased a new Dell and I wanted to hang on to my old one but I would like to wipe it of Windows 98 and change it to XP. I am not very computer literate so please don't get too technical or I will be lost.

Thanks so much,

Mary

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Dell makes motherboards to their own specifications so you would probably ned to go to the Dell webiste for your model, or ask one of their techs whether it is possible. How fast is your Pentium II?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Very doubtful as the pin layout on the P2 would be different that that of the P3..

To be sure, we would need the make and model of your motherboard..

Go to www.belarc.com and download a program called Belarc Advisor..

Run the program and copy and paste the results here..

Murray

mmpsm2

mmpsm2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply, it's 600 mhz