Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connected, but can't get to a webpage

• Please log in to reply

vitamin

vitamin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So yesterday my browser (Firefox) suddenly became unable to connect to any websites. I switched over to IE and found the same results.

For a while, it kept telling me that I had limited or no connectivity under the properties of my wireless connection, and when I would try to repair the connection, it kept getting hung up on renewing the IP address.

I reset the subnet mask manually to 255.255.255.0, and that got rid of the "limited or no connectivity" problem... it instantly said I was connected. But when I attempt to open the browser, it still goes nowhere. I get the dreaded "This page can not be displayed" message, or something of the like...

I'm at my college library now, hoping that someone can give me some advise so I can go home and fix this problem.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Well you said you were at your college library right now- is this on that same laptop or is this on a differnt computer that your on the internet- also what happens if you wire the laptop up wit a internet connection?

vitamin

vitamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No, I'm on one of the library's computers -- in Boston, I might add, so I'm appreciative of your Sox fandom.

Not sure what happens if I connect directly... I'm assuming you mean that I bypass the wireless and instead connect via a cable... Ya, haven't done that yet. You think that's the next logical step?

bigjohan

bigjohan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Your home network...Are there other PC's that are on the same network? Cabled/Wireless? Are they able to get out to the net? Check the IP/subnet structure and make sure have the same subnet mask/and same IP sceam. With the "limited to no connectiviy" error, I usually get this when I can connect to the wireless network, but don't have the correct IP address setup. (EX: network ip: 192.168.1.1-254 subnet: 255.255.255.0 but computer has an ip of 192.168.6.43) I hope I helped.

vitamin

vitamin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, that's good advice. My roommates are connecting without a problem. How do I use the info from their ipconfig to move forward? Just type in whatever is working for them?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
try going wired first and see if that works- if not try using the configurations from your roomates