Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plz Help - New Ram Not working right

• Please log in to reply

Namir

Namir

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok I have an Emachines T3065. It uses your basic DDR2700 Ram. It has had for the longest time only 512mb so i upgraded by buying another peice of ram from compusa. Just a cheap peice.

512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM
Link Here - CompUSA

I put it in my computer and when turned it on... all is well so I go to "My Computer - Propertys" It recognized the card, that simple. But.. When I go To start up a Game, The computer automatically restarts, and gives me an error message about how the computer came across a severe error and had to restart.

I took out the card... No problems.

So the Computer only does this when I open up most Games or Programs. Such as playing videos in Windows Media, Guild wars, UT2004, ext...

Is their any way I can fix this or should I go ahead and buy Kingston Value ram that they list under my machine.
Link Here - Kingston

Edited To Add:

I Put the Card back in and Opened Bios Upon the Boot and it did recognize a 512mb card in both slots.

Thx,
Namir

Edited by Namir, 25 July 2005 - 07:06 PM.

Advertisements

ewanog

ewanog

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm no expert with RAM but whenever you buy 3rd party memory hardware thats the risk that comes along with it... you're computer is probably seeking more memory to run the games and in doing so goes to the new RAM that you bought and since it's apparently corrupt, the computer crashes

I could be, and probably are, totally wrong but thats just my geuss

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There's a few possible reasons for your problem:

1. As ewanoq suggested, the new module could be faulty
2. The new module is not 100% compatible with the old one
3. Your second ram socket is dirty or faulty

Out of interest, if I were you, I would remove the old module from the system & run it with only the new one in. Place the new module in the first socket (ie the socket the old module came out of). If the games still crash, then chances are you have a faulty module.
If they run OK, move the new module to the second socket, leaving the first one empty. If games now crash, it is likely to be due to a dirty or broken socket.

If everything works smoothly with both modules individually, then its likely to be a compatibility issue.

If you want to be certain, you could also download & run memtest86 :
http://www.memtest.org/

Either way, if it turns out to be the module & not the socket, I would replace the ram with the Kingston one you mentioned. Or, buy it direct from Crucial's website who will tell you which of their modules are guaranteed to work 100% in your system. (see Crucials memory advisor)

Namir

Namir

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK I Have done everything you guys have suggested and have settled on thet the Ram is infact Defective.

This is what I did:

1: Put old ram in slot 2 - Works
2: Put New Ram in slot 1 with Old Ram - Dosnt Work
3: Old Ram in Slot 1 Alone - Runs Horrible, Almost immediate System Error after widows starts
4: Put Old Ram in Socket 1 again (origianl config) - Works

So I will return this peice and buy the new one I think from Kingston, seeing how I can buy directly from them, and the flat out say it will work 100% with my model.

Thanks you two,
-Namir

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome & good luck